Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie alert ~ Wanting tips on areas and fishing
I just recently moved to the Kuna, Idaho area with my kids and I wanted to get back until reliving my old days when I used to fish in my teens. I have been to a few places out here and wanted to kind of show my son how to catch fish but ... I suck and it's not as easy as getting back on the bike and riding. I googled fishing tips and this forum came up. I am very happy to join and learn what I can from you all. I am just looking for tips, areas and knowledge. I can sit on the lake for hours and not even catch a thing (which is fine cuz it is relaxing to just be out there) BUT to catch fish while doing that would actually be more fulfilling. Plus to see the look on my 8 yr old sons face when we catch them... well that would make my year. Anywhoo if you guys have good info for a noob like me to make me get some brownie points with my son that would be awesome. I even thought about looking for lessons lol [bobhappy]

Thank you for your time!!

Jennifer
[signature]
Welcome to the forum . There are a lot of good people on your side of the state , I am sure some will jump in and help you .
[signature]
Thanks!
[signature]
Hello!

I am new to the forum also. First off, welcome!

Second, I am from North Idaho, and according to a map I looked at, there are many creeks and rivers in Kuna, Idaho. Indian creek to name one, which according to Idaho Fish and Game, there are rainbow trout and brown trout in there. I would go for the rainbow trout. They are fun. What you could use, since the river has current, is a small spinner lure with a split shot weight about two feet above it. If you are above the river, like on a bridge or something, just drop it to your desired depth and the current will move the spinner and attract fish. If you are not above the river, this tactic might not work.

Another thing you could try is casting in the OPPOSITE direction of the current from the shore with a hook and worm and a floater. No weight. Just cast it, let the bait slowly float down to the depth where the fish are, and they might bite and take the float with it. Once the float gets too close to shore by the current, reel it in. HOWEVER, if you are fishing in an area with no current, there is no need to reel it in every time. A part of the river with no current is where they tend to hang out.

Check regulations also. Those are VERY important.

Anyway, that is all the advice I can give at the moment.

Good luck!

Jared
[signature]
Welcome! Idaho Fish and Game has lots of helps for your area.

Here is a list of some of the family fishing waters for the Southwest area:
https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ifwis/fish...2&region=3

Here is the stocking information: https://idfg.idaho.gov/fish/stocking#stocking-schedule

And here is the Idaho Fishing Planner. A great tool to learn about any water.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ifwis/fishi...1357360484

Good luck and have lots of fun with your boy whether you catch a bunch or not.
[signature]
Welcome Aboard!!

From Kuna you are not far from Swan Falls Dam. You can fish above the dam or below. A lot of catfish and bass on both sides. I believe there is a pond in Kuna that is stocked with trout. Also Meridian has a number of ponds stocked with trout. Worms, spinners and lures work great in the ponds and also in Indian Creek that flows thru Kuna.
[signature]
I'll second going south from Kuna to swan falls dam. I've never fished above but from the dam down to celebration park I've had killer days. If you have a boat (raft, drift boat would be best) you can really go crazy with them but I imagine shore fishing would be very productive as well. I usually like a Mr. Twister meany tail grub or gulp minnow on a 1/4 oz jig head. Have caught a couple catfish in that stretch as well. Another suggestion is go east to Anderson Ranch res., or north to the Payette, or east to CJ Strike. There is a ton of fishing to be had around you that is really good.
[signature]