Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to the Pocatello area - looking for fly fishing locations
I'm new to SE Idaho and was hoping you guys could give me a couple pointers on where to do some trout fishing this time of year. Just fyi I'm pretty new to fly fishing and don't have waders or a boat, so I'm looking for shore-fishing options, preferably within an hour or two from Pocatello.

The Portneuf River between Lava Hot Springs and Pocatello looked like it might be promising, is it open to the public and worth fishing? Also, are barbless hooks required?

Thanks for your help!
[signature]
Welcome to the forum. I am not a fly fisherman but I am sure someone will jump in and help you .
[signature]
I take my fly rod up to the Wellness Center every once in a while on my lunch break or before work and usually catch a few stripping streamers. Good place to practice casting. My favorite place to fly fish is the Henry's Fork; anywhere from St. Anthony to Island Park Reservoir but you will need waders. There is also a place called Birch Creek great for beginners.
[signature]
If you fish the river below Ashton . You will want waders with felt souls . The bottom is very slick .
[signature]
a few areas to go poke around
black canyon-be careful there are weird holes
the upper pourtneuf anywhere above lava just look at the public access
watch the snake river when flows are below 4000 it is wadable be carful of the big holes
henrys fork
warm river
[signature]
http://jimmysflyshop.com/articles/upper-...oot-river/
[signature]
Hello there, I don't frequent this page very often. If you are in the Pocatello area you are close to some very good water. You can find me on https://www.facebook.com/gemstatefish/ I am just another Idaho trout bum. Also if you have not already go introduce yourself at snake river fly there in pocatello. Bunch of great guys in there. I don't give much info out on these pages as they have a lot of eyes.. the upper portneuf is open year round closes during general, but can still be fished artificial, barb less and catch and release. There are dozens of places close to pocatello within an hour drive that are amazing fly fishing..
[signature]
I will second spending a little tome at snake river fly and talk to Larry he has great local knowledge of our rivers. Also jimmys in if is a wralth of information.

But to be very honest most of us will spend the majority of iur tume below the dam at af now that flows are down
[signature]