Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry's Fork Parasite???
I have been hitting the lower Henry's Fork a bit lately and have become a bit concerned. Most of the fish I am catching have bumps all over them. Some of the bumps are little black spots, like the known parasite we see all over on the Teton River, and some other lakes in SE Idaho, but most were just pronounced bumps. I noticed this mostly on the browns, but they were mostly what I have been catching.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon recently? Can someone who knows clarify if it is the same parasite? I have a feeling it relates to the low warm water from the summer. I know it has been an ideal situation for parasite and bacterial growth. The moss/weeds on the HF have also been more prolific this year, as far as I can tell. I wonder if the dammed up area at Chester is encouraging the poor water conditions by slowing the flow?

Just curious what you guys/gals have seen who have also been fishing the river recently. Sorry I don't have any pictures of the parasites, I didn't think about it until after the fact. That and they are not easily visible because they are just bumps, and not black for the most part.
[signature]
I've been working on identifying some of our parasites that we see over here in our Washington streams. Here's a helpful website if you haven't already seen it:
https://fishpathogens.net/guided-search

I'm guessing that what you're describing is something similar to the neascus trematode that we all know and love in the Teton cutts. Just a guess though really. Pictures would help.

Glad you're getting out fishing though, especially on my favorite river! I wish I were as lucky Smile
[signature]
Thanks Bryan! I'll try and get some pictures next time out.
[signature]