Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 10-16
Fished at Chicken Creek West this morning with two friends. We arrived at 6:50am and the wind was unusually strong - about 20-25mph. I was in my float tube and the others set up on shore. The waves were choppy given the wind but I wanted to see if I could catch anything by drifting/trolling with a worm. No luck. After about an hour in the water, the wind never really let up so I decided to join my two friends on shore. Within that first hour, neither of them had gotten a bite.

All three of us were using powerbait (PB) and my one friend caught a slot cutty (looked like 16 inches) on rainbow PB. We released it. About 30 minutes after that, I landed a slot cutty of my own (around 15 inches) also on rainbow PB, and released it back safely. I definitely had to keep a close eye on my line given how windy it was, but the bites were noticeable. About 15 minutes after I caught my first one, I landed another slot cutty (this one looked a similar 15-16 inches) on glitter green PB. Roughly 1-1.5 hours passed after that with zero bites until I noticed my line going out. I ended up landing it (was using glitter green PB) and it was a nice 14-15 inch rainbow.

Overall, weather conditions were a bit unusual for the time of day (usually not windy from 7am-10am) and time of year (water temp was warmer than I remember in past years and air temp was 58), but we managed to catch a few.

Will probably be heading back up next weekend or the weekend after.
[signature]
I should also add that the other two cutty's were released but we did take the rainbow home for dinner [Smile]
[signature]
Welcome to BFT and thanks for posting. A suggestion, if you aren't already doing it, when fishing with PowerBait one should use the smallest treble hook that one can buy and just put on enough PowerBait to cover the hooks. Often, I see folks fishing with about a size 4 treble hook and a huge ball of PowerBait. One will catch more trout with a small ball of PowerBait.
[signature]
You're probably right about catching more trout with a smaller treble hook/power bait set, but I'd also like to advise anyone using these, or any baited hook set-ups, to bring along plenty of extra hooks, because in most cases you should be cutting your line to release a fish, instead of trying to force that hook out of the fish's throat......it REALLY irks me to see people squeezing that fish and trying to rip treble, or single hooks out, when simply cutting the line by the fish's mouth will usually save that fish's life.....
[signature]
No dead stick baited hooks would be the appropriate ethical choice when 90% of the fish caught are in the slot. Even rod in hand actively jigging can occasionally lead to fish hooked to deep for hook removal, just cut the line.
I'd like no power bait or cheese like dough baits period!!!!!
[signature]
Size 20 Mustad with a very small slip sinker/swivel 4' up the line is a great method to obtain smoker fodder.
[signature]
Roger that --- that's why I've gotten into mainly trolling, at least for my soft water fishing.....But I do realize that trolling isn't an option for many of us, therefore powerbait and other edibles are the majority choice for shore fishermen.....I think each bottle or package of bait should come with instructions on 'How To Cut The Line' and this is something that parents should be teaching their kids also....IMO....
[signature]
Welcome and thanks for the report! It's Sad that it turned into a "berry power bait bash". Don't take any of that noise personally and keep catching fish! Each of the previous posters are good sportsmen who feel the need to educate anyone who mentions using power bait in slot waters because of how many people don't know to simply cut the line. There's nothing to suggest you did anything wrong. Keep on fishing!
[signature]
I agree with REPETER, Because it's strawberry, you must release most of the fish caught, when fishing form the bank. Lots of people only get to fish once or twice each year, and they usually take some kids. Kids like to keep one or two fish, that's great!
There are ways to make releasing fish a successful thing. I think helping the kids to "have a great time" is more important. Please teach the kids to respect the outdoors and its resources.
Some adults have not yet learned that.
Get those Kids and Grand Kids OUT!
[signature]