Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua 10 20
Thought I'd run up the hill see what the pond looked like. Water is low weeds are down. tried the west side for bass no luck. So went to the east side where I found a school of trout. they must of just stocked it. Caught one on almost every cast. used a blue fox spinner.

any way I do have a question. are green sunfish and bluegill considered game fish? and if so there are not to be used as bait, right?
I'm asking because. There was a kid well not a kid but a young man (anyone that looks under 35 is a kid to me ) with a baggy of little sunfish he was using the for bass bait. When I spoke to him about it he said they ok to use like perch. I know that yellow perch is ok in some water Mantua being one. So I left it at that.
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
That young man should be very glad you are not a warden. Because using bluegill/green sunfish is definitely verboten in Utah.
[signature]
that's what I thought. He told me he takes the kids to a community pond and have them fill a bucket. then freezes them for bait. Now that I know is wrong unless he takes the whole neighborhood and let them catch 2 fish each. Anyway he'll get caught one of these times.
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
[#0000FF]Sadly, Utah has a lot of anglers who are lazy and/or ignorant...and do not read or understand the regulations. Even more Sadly, there are simply not enough COs to oversee all waters every day and there are countless violations that are never seen or cited.

Same mentality as the goobers who don't bother to learn the difference between species of trout...or pay attention to slot limits, etc. You can see that at Strawberry on a daily basis...folks cleaning slot cutts and claiming they are rainbows.

All we can do is POLITELY remind violators we see in the field that what they are doing is wrong. If they get hostile and/or tell us to mind our own bees wax (old term) then all we can do is let it go and hope the next one to see them will have a badge.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]