Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 Salmon river steelhead
Thinking about doing a trip down below northfork. Just wonder has anyone on here been seeing any fish. I know the counts are low but still fun to get out. Also thinking about a trip to the clear water. Any info on how fishin has been below orifino.
[signature]
I was up there last weekend, fish checker said 3 fish had been reported to him. Talked to a couple other guys at the Outpost that said they had landed a fish a piece. Heard of a few that got caught this week. There's a few fish there but I think it'll be better in a week or two. Just my two cents. Although, any day up there is worth the drive just to be there.
[signature]
I too think the best fishing will be in November on the upper Salmon. It is tricky wanting to wait that long because bad weather can hit any day. Hopefully it stays mild for a little longer. Any other reports on how the fishing has been these past few days.
[signature]
My friend in Orofino says they are killing them right now. Larger number than the norm of B run fish are there or are coming up. Hope to get up there myself over Thanksgiving.
[signature]
I'm not sure how the Clearwater is fishing but the water on the salmon has jumped up big time from the recent weather. While it is not good right now, I am hoping that the higher water helps drive a few fish upstream. Any word on how things have been going on either river?
[signature]
Just got back from 2 days fishing. Water was high and off color. About 18" visibility on Wednesday, dropped about 6" overnight. And cleared to about 3' visibility Thursday. Fishing was very slow. I never touched one. Trout and suckerz weren't even biting. Fish checker reported 3 wild fish caught Thursday, I saw 2 hatchery fish caught in the 2 days. Lot's of people and effort. Very few fish. Water should be back to about normal by Saturday, water temp was 44 degree's Thursday at noon. I fished multiple holes from Spring Creek to the Middle Fork.
[signature]
Has anyone else been out on the Salmon? Any recent reports? I just got back from a trip downstream of Corn Creek and it was slow. There were 8 of us and we had to deal with a lot of rain. We hooked a couple but it was tough sledding. A few people we know did better downstream of us and a few fish have been caught lower. I think it is going to be a tough year and we are going to have to work for every bite. Hopefully the water and weather cooperate for the spring and they kind of group up to get those catch rates up. The fish that we got into were very, very, big. It seems to be the trend of the fish that are being landed.
[signature]
I haven't personally made it out, but my dad made it out a couple days between his elk hunt around challis last week and hooked a fish each day he fished. He heard of one other local catching a fish in the same time span he fished as well. Not sure if a decent push of fish moved into the upper stretch, or if it was a bit of luck, or both.
[signature]