Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 10/22
My dad and I took my two oldest daughters (9 and 6) out to Strawberry on Saturday. The day was almost spoiled by me forgetting my daughters life jackets on the steps of the back porch in Salt Lake. I am very grateful to the guys on two separate boats that lent me youth life jackets! Despite the many reports about the decline of society, there are still excellent people in the world!

We started out the day with a jigging demo from kentofnsl near the Renegade ramp. The guys on his boat landed three fish while we were docked up to them for about 10 minutes. At their invitation, we headed a short distance away and anchored up. We spent several hours jigging and only landed a single fish. We headed to another spot where we saw some fish on the fishfinder, but could not convince any to bite. That's not to say anything about the advice from kentofNSL, which was excellent. I am sure the lack of success was a combination of conditions (wind) and rookie fishermen (and fishergirls). There were quite a few boats anchored up in Renegade bay in the morning, but they had all cleared out before noon, so I suspect the bite slowed down for everyone.

We switched to trolling just before lunch and ended up with 9 more fish on a rapala (1), lucky craft pointers (7), and a gold jakes lures(1). We had two lines out on planer boards (one lucky craft and one jakes) and two with lead core out three colors (rapala and lucky craft). The lead core lucky craft had 4 fish and the one on the planer board had 3.

Thanks to liketrolling for sending me tips on speed, depth, and rigs. I didn't have time before the trip to grab many of the rigs he suggested, but I look forward to trying them out in the future.

10 fish is a pretty decent day for me, so we were not too disappointed about the lack of action jigging.

Although Old Coot was not on the water Saturday, he also sent me some great information about fall fishing on Strawberry. Thanks Coot!
[signature]