Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice fishing challenge?
Ok we've been asked to pose a question. Who is interested in an ice fishing challenge this year?
[signature]
I'll probably try it this year... J
[signature]
I'm in.
[signature]
We're looking at trying to get more folks involved in the ice fish contest and wondered if we pose a team contest similar to the catfish contest if that would get more involved? Strictly for bragging rights. We are also looking for other ideas that you may have that would make the contest more fun for each of you to participate. I'd like to see your ideas and we'll see what we can do to make it fun and give you another reason to go sit on a block of ice. Later J
[signature]
Bump
[signature]
J - I like the idea of modifying the Ice Fishing Challenge to include teams. The Ice Fishing Challenge has always been fun. I'd like to see it continue, but we do need to get more participation to make things more exciting. I would like to hear some other ideas from members.
[signature]
yes count me in . I never win but I do have fun
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
I don't know if I'd say never win... I think you might have a prize coming in the catfish contest... if not it was a very respectable number two... But it will be fun to have you take part in the ice contest... your a fierce competitor... Later J
[signature]
I have been in for the last 2 years. didn't get much fishing in last year. Had all my ice gear stolen. But got must of it back and I'm ready for the ice. The catfishing was a lot of fun. I hope I can make it to the get together/ awards dinner.
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
That's right I remember you got cleaned out last year. Glad you actually got some back and hope you can make up for the loss of ice time last year. I think we can have a lot of fun with this contest and get to see some new waters so I'm excited. Also hope you can hit the dinner it will be great to meet you. Thanks for all your support this year. Later J
[signature]
Regarding: Teams.

That gave me an idea.

I was seriously looking into tournament ice fishing even though it's still fairly new to me.

The combination of not having a team with a lot of overtime work and with shorter than usual seasons combined for me to not do it yet.

But, if we modeled our ice fishing challenge to be somewhat like a tournament with teams, then we would be more prepared to have some of our teams enter future ice fishing tournaments.

I even have new equipment for ice fishing to try. I've been talking about ice fishing even on the hottest summer days!
[signature]
That's an interesting idea and twist to things lets develop that a little more and see if it could work. Thanks Ron
[signature]
I would be in on this.
[signature]
Great that will be fun. J
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]That's an interesting idea and twist to things lets develop that a little more and see if it could work. Thanks Ron[/quote]

If our Ice Fishing Challenge includes team and tournament aspects, then we'll learn from each other, gain practice and team up to be better prepared for entering an Ice Fishing Tournament.

Imagine our big Fish Tackle flags flying in a tournament and particularly if one of our teams win!

For those who want to ice fish together, post or private message someone and create your team.

I'm posting my invitation here for ice fishing together for consideration of creating a team to become practiced and ready for an ice fishing tournament. We can have an ice fishing social and meet new fishing friends and create an ice fishing town.
[signature]
I'd be in on this as long as everyone agrees to forget at least the majority of dumb things I've said on this forum and realizes that it's been almost a year since I've indulged in incendiary talk.

Assuming we'd do such a tournament without tents, but if tents are allowed I have a Cabela's thermal tent that fits three comfortably.

Maybe have a three-event tournament with teams of three and a fourth or fifth guy as the designated fill-in? 3-4 guys could show up of course, but only the designated three can fish for points, with the possibility to tap out (with proper notification to the people running the event.) This flexibility would allow for people who don't have time for all of the events to participate in what they can.
[signature]
I've been taking my Cabela's five sided tent with me the past two seasons and it's still in it's unopened box. I mainly have it along for the ride to be able to invite others ice fishing and be sure their good time isn't to harsh for them should they be vulnerable to cold. I'm athletic and tend not to get cold and particularly since I also have plenty of warm clothing and I bring extras of that also to be able to invite people to ice fishing fun.

I generally run around making lots of holes (that creates warmth) until over the fish and still don't set up a tent, but I would be glad to set it up for others fishing with me. In particular, ladies generally don't want to tolerate cold, so by having a tent I can invite them and I can invite families to even bring young children or older people who might like to warm up in a tent particularly if weather suddenly changes.

Whatever we do for our Ice Fishing Challenge should also be for the inclusion of the greatest number of us including family, so of course we should have no limits on comforts.

My suggestion is not to be of strict adherence to tournament standards (they use tents, too), but to include elements that encourages learning and meeting and some of us choosing to work together as teams all in fun while also preparing us to be more ready for a real tournament in both skill building and getting teams.

I also would like us to include social aspects like perhaps a fish fry and whatever other good ideas get suggested.
[signature]
I'm out because last year was just Sad. 2 guys competing all season. Sure wish it would be like 4 years ago when they're a 30 active competitors.
[signature]
I would like to see a panfish only catagory for those of us who mostly target them.
[signature]
I am probably interested if it stays the same as last year. Perhaps BFT could contribute a rod and reel to the prizes pool and I have an item or two that I would be willing to donate.
[signature]