Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10/30 Middle Provo
I'm always lurking around here and finally decided to become more social. So here it goes...

I haven't fished the Provo in almost a year because I like to get away from people and enjoy the peace and quiet of an empty river. The river was crowded as always but I made the best of it.

I started fishing about 9:30 and the action was slow with only a couple of missed takes on a hares ear in tails of runs. I could see several big fish in deeper runs but couldn't get them to budge for nymphs or streamers. Around noon the threatening rain finally started to fall and that's when things really picked up. Caddis were out and a size 16 with a zebra midge dropper did the trick! I managed to net 5 browns in an hour and a half with twice as many missed takes.

I had several very aggressive takes with decent sized fish coming completely out of the water chasing my caddis. I also saw/heard several other fish come a foot or two out of the water which was pretty exciting. Makes me wonder what they were chasing or running from.

The bwo hatch started around 1:00 and the river went crazy with fish taking emergers just under the surface. Even better, the rain drove most anglers back to the parking lots and I had an entire stretch to myself during the best fishing weather. I Fished one pool with an emerger just as the hatch stopped with no luck. I'm always amazed at the volume of rising fish in that river during a good hatch. It's almost worth braving the crowds to get into action like that. Almost...
[signature]
Nice report, I can't tell you the last time I fished that stretch, way to many people for me.
[signature]
When i was growing up, my parents drove our family passed the Provo on many a fishing trip out to Wyoming. It always looked like a good river to me, but my family assured me it was terrible because it was so overcrowded. After moving here I was wary of it, but I've found it to be a remarkably good fishery--given the pressure. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
I agree it can be an amazing fishery, the only time I fished it in 2016 was about a week ago. I had to do some stuff at the DMV and figured I would go to Heber's and hit the provo for a bit with a streamer before sunrise. On maybe the 5th cast I ended up linking into a brown just a hair over 24, biggest brown of the year.
[signature]
I always had good luck on the Provo regardless of the crowds. I fished a few other quieter locations but for a 1 hour drive out of SLC, I couldn't beat it. Beautiful location and scenery and tons of fish. My son got his first fish there off River Rd. ( :
[signature]