Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prop Repair
Saturday Oct 29 I was at Bear Lake with friends. I launched out of Garden City state park and headed south to the rockpile. I failed to pay attention to how close I was getting at the west side and quickly came to a dead abrupt stop. I had run my prop and lower end into a sandy small rock bottom. I knew when this happened I was in the shallows. Raising outdrive I could see that there was damage to my prop but couldn't tell the extent of damage from the angle I was in and my stomach started churning in my throat. This was a new SS prop I had purchased approx. 4mo earlier which doesn't come with a small price tag. Our adventure didn't halt as we fished the day. On the way back performance of the prop wasn't deterred but I knew this was going to be the only time I would run it to get off of lake. After trailering boat the damage wasn't as severe as I envisioned but was going to be fixed. The lower skag had dug into the lake bottom but I feel lucky that all that was needed done was to dress out the wound and repaint. No heavy or superficial damage at all. Monday Oct 31 I contacted perfect pitch prop in which I took it in at 5pm that day. Neal Stevens who owns that business said this was very much repairable. By noon Nov 1 I had regained possession of my repaired prop. Neal did a fantastic job making prop look new again. I recommend anyone needing prop repair to go see Neal Stevens, his work is top notch.
[url "http://www.perfectpitchpropellers.com"]www.perfectpitchpropellers.com[/url]
[signature]
So, what did it run you to get it fixed? You can easily repaint the skeg since there isn't any damage. I painted my gloss black in contrast to the Yamaha "grey" and it looks great.
[signature]
If you spend enough time on the water its going to happen, lucky for you the damage wasn't worse. I did the same thing last year at Willard when it was really low, my damage was a lot worse and I ended up buying a new prop and a cover over skag. I was glad it wasn't a SS prop or it would have been heart breaking and would likely have damaged my lower end of foot. Glad you were able to get yours repaired so quickly and its good to know there is another shop to have them repaired without going to SLC. Pretty amazing they did the repair in just one day.
[signature]
The prop cost me over $400 new and repair was $165. You can get a new aluminum prop for at or under the price of the repair. I also feel that if I had an aluminum on it probably would have been wiped out.
Willard makes me cringe whenever I launch there. My previous boat had an aluminum prop and no matter how cautious I was in the shallows of Willard always seem to put a very small ding into the blades. I didn't take much to churn the bottom up.
[signature]
All of us who have owned a boat have been there and done that, likely several times. It is definitely a sickening feeling when one immediately realizes that sound is the prop, and also perhaps the skag, hitting something solid.
[signature]