Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek
Grew up in Heber and fished Deer Creek as a kid. Lots of perch in those days and they were not at all popular. I understand now days there is good fishing for other types of fish. I was thinking of going back and giving it a try this weekend. Can some of you fine fisher people give me a tip or two? Thanks
[signature]
[#0000ff]You will find there have been some changes. I too have fished Deer Creek going back to the 1960s. I was one of the few that liked the perch in those days. Still do, but the smallmouths and walleyes have pretty well thinned them out.

There have been a lot of ups and downs in the ecology and fish populations. But there is still some good fishing to be had...if you can dodge the power squadron during the warmer months...and if you don't mind having to be hot-hosed for the mussel thing.

[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Got it Thanks so much. You are always there to give such good info. You are a great asset to this forum. Thanks again
[signature]
[#0000FF]Happy to help when I can. I have had a lot of enjoys doing the "research" but I sure would have appreciated having such info many long years ago.

Let us know how you do if you are able to hit it.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I fish Deer Creek quite a bit for various species.

What kind of fishing do you do? Boat? Bank?

This time of year is usually trout. Trolling flies, jakes, rapallas, worm rigs, or spinners can all be effective. Usually some experimentation will find the right color / rig combinations.

Summer is the best time to fish Deer Creek. The Smallies are plentiful and getting bigger. The same techniques can yield decent sized Large Mouth. My favorite is using Pop-R's on the shoreline between first light and full sunnup. After that, the Senko is the right tool.

I don't normally target walleye but catch a few every year. Usually on the trout gear (raps or worm rigs) fished close to the bottom.

I've also caught a 32" beast of a Carp up there.

I don't target the panfish species (Crappie, Sunfish, Perch) but I have caught them all.... usually while fishing for Small Mouth or trout.

Hope that helps!
[signature]
Todays DC report:
Went to DC with my wife and hunting buddy. Fished from the state park to the island. We caught 30 to 40 Finless Freddie's as tube dude calls them. Fish that has been planted lately. Probably lost 1/2 that many. Fished 10 to 25 feet at 1.9 MPH. The hot pole was the wife's. She was using a bloody frog flat fish tipped with worm. Other good lures were silver crocodile, and silver pop gear also tipped with a worm. Great time good memories. Thank for the comment and help. Oh by the way kept 8 for some table fare.
[signature]