Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inline ice fishing reel
That could very well be the case. Planning on buying two more here pretty soon so I will make sure to read the instructions next time haha.
[signature]
So how is that black betty? Been seeing that thing advertised all over the ice fishing deals and I thought it was a little spendy to try without some first hand knowledge, so is it worth it? Guess you haven't been able to fish with it yet, but what do you think from what you've seen so far? I have a pair of the Eagle claw reels and I've liked them so far, but they are a little different to get used to... Hope to get more time with them this year... I have them on Ice-N-Easy rods, so I should probably try one on a regular rod and see if I like them better there.. thanks for the info Shane... Later J
[signature]
Appears to be extremely well built with very high quality parts.
I did not want to spend my money on the original Betty but when I saw the new 'Freefall' Betty with the trigger release I had to have one.
Mind you, my opinion right now is before actually using it on a real fish but spool engagement/trigger rection seems to be perfect.
The trigger is fairly close to the spool, I don't think using it with gloves will be feasible but I always fish with a handwarmer because I can't stand gloves.
I paired the Betty with a Tony Roach curve rod with built in spring bobber and can't wait to try it on those Cascade spiney rayed green devils!
[signature]
Sounds like fun, do you have your Cascade trip set up? Hope it turn out to be a great trip. They sure are some nice fish. I'm putting my Smitty together now so I'm getting a little excited for ice myself. Thanks for the review of the freefall. Later J
[signature]
I fish several different brands of inline. I really like the Clam Dave Genz Ice Spooler Elite. None of mine have the free release so I prefer them for shallow water panfish. No line twist and the drags are excellent. here is a pic of the first one I owned. For sight fishing it is hard to beat 2# test and an inline real.
[signature]
I have 4 of the exact same eagle claw inline reels. I really like them. If you are used to jigging with a baitcasting reel on a boat, then you will have no problem letting the line out and avoiding backlash. Just the position of your finger changes to the outside of the spool when letting out line. Also, I have 8 of the eagle claw magnum inline reels for burbot and lake trout. Same reel, but for bigger fish. I really like all of them. [fishin]
[signature]
Here's a "Baitcast Reels for Ice Fishing" topic of almost three years ago from before we saw inline reels that's related to your post and my reply:

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...54;#865154

Many were quite favorable to level wind reels. I now see a lot of enthusiasm for the ice fishing specific inline reels and just you and me resisting switching to inline reels for ice fishing.

I don't see any advantage over bait casting reels and particularly for those who already have them, so for those posting on inline who have previously used bait casting reels, I ask:

What am I missing?

It would seem that a bait casting reel need not be disturbed much by just adding a little ice fishing line onto what's already there and then that can be removed for ice off.

Is there any reason to buy an ice fishing inline reel when I already have bait casting reels of much higher quality?

I'm really not trying to avoid buying the best for ice fishing except I think I might already have it. Am I missing anything?
[signature]
Hey Ron I think the bait cast reels are great, I got one for fishing Bear Lake and bigger fish last winter. I'm no way an authority on reel selection but I don't think you need to retool. The inlines are a little simpler reel design and lighter weight and for the fly fishermen it makes you feel more at home being able to palm the spool and all. I think the ratio of the inlines are a little lower than a bait cast so you won't get your fish landed quite as quickly. I just picked up a Freefall Black Betty and I think it will be a really nice reel, but it's a little pricey more like your baitcast reel in price and drag function. We'll see how it performs. Anyway if we're on the same pond you can try my Eagleclaw and Betty and see what ya think. I have my baitcast on a 4' Rod so it's not a straight across comparison, but you could try it. Good luck, but I don't think you need to switch. Later J
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]Hey Ron ... Anyway if we're on the same pond ... Later J[/quote]

Thanks, J!

If you or anyone sees my BFT flag displayed, then it means your company is invited!

I'm still looking for a good way to communicate that clearly over distance.
[signature]
Maybe you need to get a visitors welcome mat or flag. Guess we should post where we are planning on fishing the night before so we know who to look for. Sometimes hard to know much ahead though. Hey it looks like in about a week we'll see some cold that could make some real ice to fish. Probably be ice fishing by the tenth of December if that report holds. Keep your fingers crossed. Later J
[signature]
I have both and the Eagle and an old bait caster. I like them both. IF you get the eagles I would suggest the ones with a little longer throat on them so if you wear gloves it is comfy. That being said I still palm my bait caster like when I fish it out of my tube and that is my preferred way to hold it. Personally I would use standard inlines if I could find some decent ones for 30.00.
[signature]
I have 2 of the eagle claws and they are ok, I actually kind of like the one rod I have a bait caster on.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Cr.../10210565/

It is a light weight low profile BC for 45.00 I am tempted to order it and try it out.
[signature]