Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clearwater
This is a bit late. I've been fighting a nasty cold since returning last weekend. but better late than never. Went up to Lewiston and orofino for a cast n blast weekend with some family. We started the first day down from orofino a bit. Almost immediately spotted deer on the hillside so my brother in law and I jumped out to fill a tag. Unfortunately the deer chose a spot without a good area to stalk in close. Fortunately my brother in law had zeroed his gun that week. He made a great 250 yd shot uphill through both lungs on a decent 4x4 buck. After a short track we found it crumpled up in the brush. We dressed and skinned it then back to fishing which unfortunately wasn't as good. We landed two and lost one. By late afternoon we decided we wanted to focus on fishing the next day so we went back to where the dear were that morning to see if we could fill another tag. We quickly found deer but the first two weren't where there was a good approach. The third one though we took off after. Went up and belly crawled onto a rock outcropping that would put us even one finger from where it was last seen. Once in place no sign of the deer. I set up with a commanding view of the entire hillside and then my brother started walking towards the gully uphill of me. After a few seconds out comes the doe from the gully at a slow trot. I swing towards it with my scope and my brother whistles once stopping the deer in its tracks. Half a second later I squeeze off a shot and the deer drops and cartwheels down the hill almost all the way. We got it dressed and skinned then ended the day.
One Sunday we put in at flying j and fished several holes just east of Lewiston and had much better luck. We ended up landing three more B runs and one A run. There was also a good B run we should have landed but it finally threw the hook on the fifth long run. My arm was truly aching by that point but man was I lit up that it got away! Amazing fight though! Finally called it a day around two pm since we headed back to Boise that evening.
Final tally was six landed. All were hatchery except one. Plus the two white tail tags filled. Great weekend.
[signature]
Great story! Sounds like a great time and fabulous eating.
[signature]