Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Trolling Motor
Yesterday I bought a Minn Kota Endura C2 30 lb thrust for my 8 ft rubber raft.

According to the manufacturer's website, it puts out about .5 horsepower. Am I exempt from having to register this or do I have to go through the process and pay the money?
[signature]
Yes, you will have to pay to license it. No matter what the horse power, once you put a motor on it, it has to be licensed to be legal.
[signature]
TD is right.. state is going to want your money! Expect to pay $60 to register.. wondering what kind of raft do you have? I also fish with an inflatable raft (intex mariner 4)
[signature]
A Dragonfly X1 from Dave Scadden. It's an 8 footer.
[inline dragonFlyBoat.gif]
[signature]
Nice raft!
[signature]
Now I need to build a rod caddy to use next spring.
[signature]
I'll be registering this thing today, I hope.

I thought I read here or at least somewhere that a bill was passed or maybe considered to exempt rubber boats, float tubes, etc from registration just because of a trolling motor. It had a start date several months into the future. I was unable to find more about it.

Does anyone have more info on this?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Sorry. Regulations are going the other way...tighter not looser. Pretty soon we will have to register if we use oars...or fins.

By the way, you will also need a bill of sale or receipt for your craft. In addition to the registration charges you will also have to pay a one time tax on your toon. First year can be nasty. But even the $60 on an annual basis for a float tube or pontoon is ridiculous.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
$53 to register it. They also told me I need to have insurance on it because of the trolling motor.
[signature]
They are wrong. If your motor is rated for 50hp or more then you have to carry insurance. Anything less and you are not required to have it.

Hopefully someone can point you to where the laws are and print it out and take it with you to show them that you don't need it.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Here is a screenshot right from the state parks website on the rules for insurance.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Thanks. That's good to know. I've never had to do this before.
[signature]