Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
small bait fish question
While pheasant hunting I was walking a canal bank and found hundreds of tiny fish about an inch long. The water was not flowing just what was trapped after it was shut off. Anyone have any idea what these fish can be? They wont survive the winter after it freezes.
[signature]
Sounds like good bait fish Rod, depending on where you saw them, they could be shad or carp or maybe even shinners or a number of other bait fish. Did you take any pics of them?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Even with a picture it might be difficult to know what the little tykes are without knowing what species inhabit those waters. Probably young of the year of chubs, shiners or suckers. But could be small fathead minnows in some waters...or even mosquito fish planted for insect control.

Minnows that small are generally tough to use for bait. Although using them to tip an ice jig is sometimes a good tactic for perch...and even trout.

There are several species of "minnows" that are protected native species. So you gotta be careful about capturing and killing them if you are unsure. Also...as a couple of BFT members have found out the hard way...don't bring home any live ones and put them in your aquarium. That is a NO NO that can cost some money.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Almost for sure mosquito fish. They don't stay on a hook very good.
[signature]
Rod around here they could be fatheads, but like mentioned it's pretty hard to tell without seeing them. Couple years back I got some fatheads and they worked really well, but they were closer to 3". I haven't found any minnows this fall and need to restock. Later J
[signature]
I can show you where they are if you want to try for them.
[signature]
My guess would be fat heads. I've seen those there before but much bigger.
[signature]
Hey Rod, sorry didn't see your reply. Guess I'm good if they are that small they will probably not do what I want them to do. Plus by now they are probably froze in.

I put out my minnow trap a couple weeks ago and ended up with a bunch of crawfish. That really surprised me for Cutler. I didn't know they were out here. May have to try the craw cranks. Later J
[signature]
That's ok I think the trap would work better, a cast net would be difficult there and they are probably too small for it anyway.

I would guess that cutler has crawdads with everything upstream that has them, just haven't seen an abundance of them. Figured the fish kept the population in check pretty well. I've used the craw cranks but haven't done very well with them.
[signature]