Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Report
I was up at the berry to experience the fall fishing everyone has been talking about. Well I must have missed the boat, and all the people. There is still one dock in the water with a sharp spot on the end that made a nice ding in the side of the boat. As for fishing we went south towards renegade and didn't mark very many fish. So we moved to the narrows and found schools of them from 25 feet to 50 feet. We threw everything and the kitchen sink with no luck. I don't know what we were doing wrong the water temp was 44 degrees but the wind chill was 27 degrees. Nothing a heater buddy could not fix when your fingers get cold. There was only one other boat on the strawberry side. Anybody else have any luck?
[signature]
We did ... over in the renegade area. Working on a report with pictures right now ...
[signature]
That is why you are the old wise one. I need to go fishing with you, apparently what I have doesn't work. Let's see them so I can go cry in the corner.
[signature]
Here tiz:

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?&do=post_view&post=994205#last"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?&do=post_view&post=994205#last[/url]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?&do=post_view&post=994205#last"]Black Friday at the Berry[/url]
[signature]
How was the ramp strawberry bay side? Was it snow packed or icy?
[signature]
Road to the bay was snow packed but with the sun out the snow was melting. The ramp was dry I think the wind kind of kept the ramp open we had no trouble loading or unloading I was expecting icy conditions but pleasant surprise to see ramp I. Good condition .
[signature]
I started fishing about 9 am by haws point got 3 big cuts over 22" trolling
then started trolling to the Meadows made it to the east side I was alone using two downriggers one down 20' the other down 16' using white tube jigs with worm on one hook shrimp on the other. most of the fish I got was in 40 to 45 feet of water
during a 2 hour time I had a fish on all the time I don't know how many fish I got but it was a lot.
the bad thing was my min kota was froze up and I never could get it to work

it is 5 yrs old. hope I don't need to buy a new one.
[signature]
We found most of the fish stacked in the mouth of the narrows I would say 200 fish in the first 400 yds. Appeared to be feeding, using downriggers 1.4 mph anything from tubes, Jake's, repalas , but had no bait sounds like my problem I thought scent would be enough.
[signature]
I was south of the narrows their was 6 are 7 boats there most where close to the bank and jigging
I was out in the deeper water my best speed was 1.9 mph I keep changing till I find what is working. I did not see a lot of fish together

If you see a lot of fish stacked they could be chubs are Kokanee

I did this you tube last year In the Meadows to show people what chubs look like on your fish finder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTgO74n2aD4&t=112s

and this time of year you need worms, shrimp or chub meet on your hooks
[signature]
I had the same luck you did. Maybe we can cry together till we find someone to hold me and teach me also. I did however have a great day - fishing- just not catching.
[signature]
We also fished renegade near the mouth of the narrows. The bite was somewhat lighter than we were used to with jigs but without a worm the fish weren't interested. Black Friday was a busy day for the berry
[signature]
[quote WesternWalker]

... but had no bait sounds like my problem I thought scent would be enough.

[/quote]

I think I would get skunked at Strawberry if I didn't use bait. I know as soon as I lose the bait on my tubes they quit biting until I put another chunk of bait back on the hook.
[signature]
Thanks for the information, do you find a better type of bait then another, also how about gels and smelly items does that help more if you use them or depends on the day. I have only fished for trout I am learning what to use for other types of fish and types of water ways. Always willing to learn new ways and meet new people. It looks like my fishing season is over for the year now that it is freezing but come March ice off and back at it.
[signature]
I do best with cut chub meat. Occasionally, night crawlers work as well as cut bait but usually not. Meal worms will also work especially through the ice. I occasionally use scents but not sure they make much difference while fishing with tubes at Strawberry.
[signature]
Cut chub meat do you keep it froze so it goes on the hook , when I have used the stuff you by from the local sportsman house and when it is thawed it doesn't want to stay together. You say using tubes I have never used a tube only trolled never stop and fished with any luck. I always have room on the boat I will need to have someone show me what I am doing wrong. I live in the Ogden area so I am always available for the local lakes. I have only had great success for the big boys in flaming gorge. Would like to learn different techniques and fish for different types of fish. Too bad season is over.
[signature]
[quote WesternWalker]

Cut chub meat do you keep it froze so it goes on the hook , when I have used the stuff you by from the local sportsman house and when it is thawed it doesn't want to stay together.

[/quote]

I catch my own chubs and also red sided shiners. Chubs stay on the hook a little better than do the shiners. When using either one be sure to thaw them just enough that you can cut them (I use a cheap pair of shears to cut them.) and then always keep them on ice. If they are left out to get warm they will turn to mush. Also, only use about a 1/2 inch long piece.

[quote WesternWalker]

You say using tubes I have never used a tube only trolled never stop and fished with any luck.

[/quote]

I am on my fourth, and hopefully last boat. Early on, I trolled almost all of the time. After being taught how to vertically jig and cast and bounce back to the boat my preferred method of fishing is to jig. I will troll for some species and sometimes to locate the fish. I have had success trolling, especially drift trolling, with tubes and liketrolling has great success trolling for cutts and rainbows at strawberry using tubes. Send him a PM and I'm sure he would gladly take you out and teach you his technique.

[quote WesternWalker]

I always have room on the boat I will need to have someone show me what I am doing wrong. I live in the Ogden area so I am always available for the local lakes.

[/quote]

I am retired and always looking for fellow anglers to fish with, especially during the week. I live near Bountiful.

[quote WesternWalker]

I have only had great success for the big boys in flaming gorge. Would like to learn different techniques and fish for different types of fish. Too bad season is over.

[/quote]

Catching the "big boys in flaming gorge" is an area that I could use some help. Sounds like we could learn something from each other. Not too late to fish Strawberry from a boat as long as the ramps are not snowed in. I also enjoy fishing for different species and I have caught a long list of different species since retiring.
[signature]
Great information definitely sounds like we can do some trading of information. I fish mostly week days hate weekends due to the amount of boats. I would bet most ramps are snowed in or iced over this year. If not they will be by next week with this weather coming in and he temps. I would say hurry up ice off love the fishing. I have never trusted the ice nor do I have any cold gear or ice fishing gear. Good luck to those that brave the cold and ice. I have to be hand it to you, I bow down.
[signature]
Quote:Not too late to fish Strawberry from a boat as long as the ramps are not snowed in
The ramps are snowed in at Strawberry. It's done up there unless someone plows between yesterday and the weekend.

Not getting warm enough to melt anything this week.
[signature]
Thanks!!!! I was looking at going up Sat. but was scared of the ramps. I was going to post to see if any one knew how they were. Guess I don't have to now.
I think I will head to Otter Creek Sat.
[signature]