Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Coot on TV !!!
So, I was watching Adam Eakel's show on KSL tonight and low and behold, the guest of honor was "Old Coot". He was showing people how to catch Bear Lake Whitefish, using Tube Dudes fancy jigs, seemed like old home week watching them. He acquitted himself with poise and aplomb, showing the host how to catch whitefish. TD even got some promotion about his writeup on Bear Lake. Good reading further down the thread !! Keep up the good work guys !!
Agreed! Pat has assisted my passion for finding trophy brook trout by tying me some beautiful, durable marabou jigs just to my desires. He is a great guy and an asset to any angler's goals. Thanks Pat!
[signature]
[#0000FF]I watched the show too. It was actually a composite footage program with excerpts from the previous two years. But it had a lot of good helpful material for folks who might like to try for the whitefish for the first time.

The program advised anglers to get up there right now because the run was in full swing. Not so. Only a sparse few fish have showed up so far. Water has been warmer to date and the water levels are down 2-3 feet from last year.

BearLakeFishGuy was supposed to get out Friday and again on Monday to look for them. I'm sure he will post a report if he braves the weather and is able to get out.

If the run begins a few days later it will likely extend to the end of December. Just gotta time the trips between snowstorms. For those living in the Salt Lake area it has been found by other anglers in this area that going up through Evanston is faster and more nerve-friendly than going though Logan and the canyon.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Pat the wind was nasty yesterday morning. It was 20 degrees and about 20 mph winds from the east. I tried off Cisco and never got a nibble only lost a couple jigs. Tough to get them off a snag when the wind is ripping that hard. Anyway by 9:30 I was a popcicle so I pulled out and as I went past second point it was nearly calm, but my toon had sprung a leak so I didn't dare try it again. Anyway Mike mentioned that Scott, I assume, had caught 4 yesterday. So it may be starting but it's far from fast fishing yet. I may take the boat next trip, I don't like wind in a toon. I need you to show me how to read a weather report so I can pick a better day. Later J
[signature]
[#0000FF]Whitefish can start showing up anytime around Thanksgiving...before or after. Traditionally they are usually "IN" by the first full week of December.

If I am gonna make a 5 hour round trip drive...to fish only 4 or 5 hours...I wanna have some expectation of survivable weather. Sorry to hear you got "breathed on" by the Bear Lake monster. As I have learned, that can happen even with a good forecast.

If you are looking for something foolproof for predicting the weather, use this:

[inline "WEATHER ROCK.jpg"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
So what you are saying tube dude is you can't always believe what you see and hear on the TV. I was thinking of running up there until I seen your post about the fish. I thought they filmed a week to two weeks out so you got the most reliable information, now I know the truth. Thanks for the tips on what to use up there.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I think Adam's intentions were good. He was trying to provide advance info for folks who were getting the itch. In retrospect, he should have made a disclaimer about the film being from previous years. He does sometimes edit and splice segments from other programs to make a new one.

Last year that segment was shot right in the middle of a good strong run...with higher water conditions. And it was toward the end of the first full week in December. That is typically gangbusters...and probably will be again this year. But the program was just a little ahead of it.

Right now there are several "regulars" who are trying to find where the fish will be showing up this year. It can be different from year to year with the varying water levels and other conditions. The whitefish are pretty particular about where they want to spawn and we need to operate on their schedule...not ours.

For those that missed it on the other thread, here is my PDF writeup again.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Yup I heard once it was going to be windy so I wasn't going to go, then the report changed so I figured I'd go for it. Well it looks like the first report was the right one. At least it was only an hour and a half over there for me. Maybe next week I can get onto them. Later J
[signature]
Never fished for them it might be kind of a fun day to try for them when they come in.
[signature]
I fished Friday and no sign of Whites then. we did catch several nice cutts and I got 17lb laker on 6lb line! That was fun. I will be going this weekend also and may even fish the tourney the weekend after that. I love Bear Lake this time of year[cool]
[signature]
[#0000FF]I got a report back from BLFG today that they had found only 4 whitefish between three anglers all day Friday. And the usual best spots off first point and second point are too shallow this year to be very attractive to the fish. But he expressed optimism that they would be coming in more this week.

I will likely be up there with a few more BFTers on Friday to test his theory...and will report what we find.

Congrats on the big mack. I got one about 10 pounds last year on the light whitefish rig. Takes longer to land them than the whities.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]