Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass waters around SLC
Anyone have any favorite (Largemouth preferred) bass waters in the immediate Salt Lake City area? I know Willow Pond has wipers, but any largemouth?
[signature]
If you get on the Utah DWR website they have a list of the community waters and the species in that body of water for each county.
[signature]
http://www.utahfishinginfo.com/

Not all that info is completely up to date, refer to the 2016 fishing guidebook for regulations.
[signature]
Awesome....I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck in the urban fisheries for Largemouth. I was just told that Oquirrh Lake was pretty good for bass and I know there's wipers in Willow pond
[signature]
[#0000FF]Sadly, just because a species is listed as being in any of the ponds does not mean there is a good fishery for them. Largemouths have been planted in all the community fisheries but because of the catch and kill mentality of most anglers who fish them there are not many that live to reach any size. And those that survive are tough to fool.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Yeah...I catch and release most Largemouth. I just like the challenge
[signature]
[#0000FF]A lot of us enjoy the community ponds as good places to go for a quick fishing fix...or to practice with new tackle or whatever. But there are many in Utah who see them as their own private fish markets. Not uncommon to see large families show up and one or two members catching the two fish limits for the whole family. Also not unusual for individual "sportsmen" to catch and keep several limits in a day.

If you do find some good fish don't let too many others see you or you will suddenly get a lot of "help". And most knowledgeable anglers don't broadcast their success on public forums.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I'll remember that...and thanks. I generally hit up urban fisheries when I'm on time constraint and I've never caught anything I've even thought of keeping. I usually spend my summers up at Strawberry. I just got this urge to go after some Largemouth, so I was seeing if anyone would share their favorite hole in my area. I'm really hoping Largemouth catches on more around here. It's a lot of fun
[signature]
[#0000FF]There is a small hardcore group of bassaholics in Utah. But they don't spend much time at the community ponds. Fave largemouth habitats are Utah Lake, Pelican Lake, Quail Creek and Sand Hollow in the south...and of course Powell. There are more lakes near the Wasatch front that have smallmouths...like Deer Creek, Jordanelle, Rockport, and Pineview. You can find a few stray largies in the mix at some of those lakes but smallies usually dominate. If you have never focused on smallmouth it might be a good time to work them into your outlook.

In former times..."BS" (before smallmouths)...there were lots of good largemouths in both Deer Creek and Pineview. 30 fish days with numbers over 4#. But once the smallies took over the rocky habitat and there wasn't enough wood for the largies the newbies crowded them out.

Some of the biggest largemouths nearby are in Utah Lake...some up to 6#. But under the current low water conditions there is simply not enough cover for them. When the water levels are up you can find them in all the harbors and around docks and rocks...and in shoreline reeds and other vegetation. Right now they are out competing with catfish for pockets in the mud.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I think a buddy and I are going up to Echo on Sunday to target smallmouths and I'll probably start fishing Jordanelle next season considering it's pretty close by. I've never fished for smallmouth, but my buddy seems to love it
[signature]
I'll be honest, now is not the time to be targeting bass in Utah. TD has some valid points about waters that are close by. Jordanelle used to be the sh&$! But not anymore. There are still some ok bass but not like it used to be. It only takes me one trip to remind me of that and I look elsewhere. I don't offer this often but if you're interested I'll take you out in the springtime for some slabs on The Mistress. Keep in touch, shoot me a pm. If you don't mind foul language because of lost fish and a road trip there are some bruiser smallies nearby.
[signature]
Sounds awesome and I will take you up on that offer. We're hitting up Echo because we can target bass early in the morning and if we don't have any luck, then I can throw my trusty little Jake's and the rainbows seem to love them. I'll pm you in a bit when I get a moment. Work is kinda hectic this morning. I really appreciate the offer. And my mouth is a foul as anyone else's...haha
[signature]
You need to think southern Utah for good LB. Sand hallow , Lake Powell in April and June, are great times to go for bass down south.
[signature]
Nice! I've never fished down that way...thanks
[signature]
Looks like we are planning a camping trip South next summer then Bulldog
[signature]
I'm down...as long as there's water to fish in, I'm game
[signature]
Lake Powell for lots of reasons. Variety of fish, and the location.
[signature]