Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield 12/8
Made the first ice trip of the year to scofield to stock up on bait for the season. Got to the lake just before 7:00, fished not too far from the dam and had a great day. Between me and my buddy we caught 76 chubs and 9 cutthroats. Chubs were all over in the water column, we were in 18 ft of water. Most of the fish we caught were on hali spoons in green tipped with worm.
The ice was probably 5-6 inches thick
[signature]
That's a great idea to stock up on the cut bait! Were the cutts the standard (within the last couple years anyway) skinny little cutts? Or were they actually getting some size on them yet?
[signature]
We're you the two guys in the red Eskimo shelter? I came out just before noon and fished in the dam arm across from the State Park. I ended up with 22 chubs and no trout, but I was targeting the chubs. If it was you guys, thanks for the offer of the hand auger.
I appreciate the help getting my Strikemaster going the first time this season.

Ice was 6.5 inches and growing. The w**d was blowing out of the south at about 15 to 20 mph at times and it was snowing lightly most of the afternoon. There is about an inch of snow on the ice which made the footing pretty good.

There is snow predicted for the next few days which will insulate the snow and slow the freezing process. Use caution anywhere on early season ice. Remember your safety gear and use common sense.

Mike
[signature]
I'm going up tomorrow where the bites soft or the hard? I have a fish Scofield for a few years if you have any good information or tips and tricks PM me that be appreciated
[signature]
Two of us it's gold filled the 7th. We got 24 fish between the two of us only one chub. Two rainbows the rest cuts. We fished in the dam arm in 14 feet of water only had one chub which was strange. CAUGHT MOST of them on a pearl white speckled tube tipped with chub .
[signature]
Thx for the report!

Was there anyone fishing outside of the dam channel? Any idea how thick the ice is out in the reservoir?
[signature]
We were the only ones fishing on the lake. Ice was 6 inches thick . . Chub meat was the best bait . .got most of the bite s close to the bottom .
[signature]
They were all small and skinny we didn't catch any trout with size one them
[signature]
Yep that was me (: I wondered if you were a bft member I should have asked. But no problem I am always happy to help[reply][/reply]
[signature]
Thanks again for your help. Next time we run into each we'll know to chat and exchange lies.

Mike
[signature]
We were also there yesterday 12/8. We had a group of about 8 and started out a little bit closer to the dam arm opening. Most of us caught a couple of skinny Cutts and a some chubs. We moved out of the arm right into the opening and fished in about 25 ft with one pole and the jawjacker shallow and found the motherload of chubs. Big chubs! We caught a few more malnourished cutts. Everytime I checked the Jacker my bait was gone and the hole was so frozen over with ice and snow etc that it did not trip on the snakey little cutts.

I kept some chubs for bait and left the rest on the ice for the birds. Not sure the birds would want to eat them. I thought I would try and fry up some small boney chub fillets last year and it was really stinky meat. Then I gave it to the yellow lab and he wouldn't even eat it. Then last night I was suck packing about six for bait meat and man did they smell bad. They were even still part frozen from the trip.

In this photo you will see that the water was green and cloudy. I can usually sight fish in the shallow water but the visibility was only about 2-3ft. I tried using my underwater camera and it was difficult to find the ratfinkee on the camera unless I was right on top of it. I guess the only fish really thriving in this terrible water quality are the chubs. Is the issue here the chubs or is the issue here the water quality? Man do we need the moisture in a bad way this coming year!
[signature]

[signature]
My dad and we're there 12/8/16 in the red eskimo about twenty 20 yards from the bank we land just over thirty fish mostly Cutts only four chubs we fished in about 15ft of water.
[signature]
Got there at 3 today didn't have much luck one chub a bunch of light bites... fished till 530. Then my daughter broke her pole so it was time to call it a night fished the dam arm started at 15 fow then moved to 19. Saw the moat action at 19ft
[signature]