Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In-Line Reel, Line Combonation
Hey everybody, as ice fishing season is coming upon us, I am looking into purchasing an in-line reel. Was looking for suggestions on reel and line combo, not interested in spending a lot of money on the reel. Have looked at some eagle claws, clams, fiblinks, frabils, no. 8's.. Just wondering what you guys are running and how you like them, not wanting to spend a lot of money on one.. It will mostly be set-up for my bigger fish and deeper set-ups, mostly fish lake for some mac's if that helps out with line suggestions..
[signature]
I'm going to be running twelve pound fluorocarbon on an eagle claw magnum reel. I have used the normal sized eagle claws and absolutely love them.
[signature]
I really liked my Eagleclaw until I got the Black Betty Freefall, totally love that reel, but not cheap. Anyway I'm using nanofil line and I think it will be great, but I haven't tested it under cold freezing conditions yet so I'm hoping it won't freeze on the spool. If so I think it will be a great set up.

I bought some of the ice formula braid for another pole and it's so rough going through the eyes it's terrible for finess fishing. I put it on my whitefish set up and had to add mono on the end so I could feel my lure instead of the line wearing on the guides. Good luck on your choice, but I think you'll be happy with whichever you choose, just figure out how to adjust it before you get in the field and lose a trophy fish. Later J
[signature]
Dittos on the Eagle Claw. I also recommend you use a special "ice formula" line; it's very nice the way they don't build ice either in the guides or at the water's surface when you jig.

Do set the freefall tension so that the reel stops when the lure hits bottom. (Read the #@$%*$ instructions!) You only have to fiddle with it if you change lure weights.

I see ads on my screen from Sportsman's Guide offering Eagle Claw inlines for $22.
[signature]
I noticed that Wally World is carrying the HT inline reel, about 10bucks. HT is one of the biggest purveyors of ice tackle, so it is specifically designed for ice fishing. You can put it on all most any rod. They do have a drag when the line is going out and it can be set up for either right or left hand use ( comes set for righty's ). They also had a pretty good selection of ice line !! Good luck and have fun !!
That Freefall is just shy of being a piece of artwork.
[signature]
Hey Shane sorry I was a copy cat but I'm sure glad I got that reel. Tried it on Hyrum from the boat on Friday and fell in love with it. That trigger is so nice for letting the line out and getting right on the numbers. I'm thinking that will be in my hand all ice season. Don't want a fish to steal that one into the hole. Will be my go to rod for sure. Pretty sure others will copy this reel in the future or start loosing market share. 13 needs to hire you to promote that reel and pay you commission. Catch ya later J
[signature]
Glad you like it.
You should come up to Cascade in feb and see if it works on 2 lb. perch.......
[signature]
Been lusting over that one for a while. Might have to break down and pull the trigger.

Larry
[signature]
That would be really fun, wish I could. Later J
[signature]
I shouldn't have done it financially, but I'm calling it a Christmas present so I justified it. But it is going to be a fun part of my winter season. If you want to check it out before you buy one let me know. I can show you mine or I think Shane found them in Salt Lake forget where he got his. I found mine on that ice fishing deal email for $89 out of Fish307 I think. Anyway have a great one. Later J
[signature]
That's a great point, Bob.
[signature]
I agree with the ratio completely, just as well use your fly reel if you don't get a geared advantage from your inline. Later J
[signature]
I tried a fly reel once - and I do mean once - to see if I'd like an inline. Terrible experience.

I bought an inline anyway, and love it. My Eagle Claw inline freespools the lure and line down with no twists or spirals, and the tension adjustment stops it when the lure hits bottom. There's a good star drag, and also a clicker to warn me a fish is taking line when I have that rod in a holder. And best of all is the multiplying retrieve.
[signature]
Thanks for the information fellors.. I have decided to try the No. 8 Tackle Co. CGi.. Still Undecided on line though.. Will let you guys know how she does after I get to use her after she comes.. Thanks..
[signature]
I really like the Suffix lines. I always use the ice braid with a 18-24" floro leader. I have also had good luck with the Fireline but like the suffix better.
[signature]
Is that an open invitation?
[signature]
You will really like that reel.
It is the best inline for less than $50.
[signature]
I'm sure that anyone that shows up from BFT will be welcome.
[signature]
Eagle claw in lines are good..for $10 more the no 8 tackle cold gear in lines are well worth it! Free fall reel from 13 fishing is top notch but grab one quick because 13 fishing is out of stock on them.

13 fishing tickle stick in 27" light action or their whiteout Rod in 27.5" med light are both awesome trout rods and we'll worth the money.
[signature]