Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mackay
Fished Mackay today. We were the only ones there. We did see someone taking a shack up as we were leaving. We got there around 10:30. It took about 1/2 hr to get them going but then we both caught 6 in the next hour. Ice is 10" thick. We fished just off the bottom using various color plastic jigs and ice flies. They didn't seem to care. We used meal worms and corn for bait. Fished out from the boat ramp. We forgot the limit is 15. I guess we could have kept fishing. Oh well, enough to share with the neighbor and for fish tacos this evening. Next time we will shoot for catching the new limit of 15 each and smoke them.
[signature]
Nice report, was that Kokes you were after or the trout. Later J
[signature]
Kokes
[signature]
Thanks. J
[signature]
Any size to the Kokes this year? Or are they in that 8"-12" range?

Either way, Mackay is a great place to go have some fun on the hard deck.
[signature]
Mostly 8-10". Caught one dink.
[signature]
Fished the upper boat launch 12/26. Slow start, but once it turned on it was steady action. Three of us limited on kokanee in a couple of hours. Standard 8-10 inchers. As always, light bite. Fourteen inches of ice, so take a power auger or a son-in-law.
[signature]
Yesterday it took me longer then normal to get kokes to come in but after they did it was game on. Small pink Swedish pimples or pink rat finkies tipped with wax worms or meal worms. We found them 20 ft down in 38 ft of water.
Windriver
[signature]
[quote fshnfwl]Mostly 8-10". Caught one dink.[/quote]

8-10 inches is perfect bait size....... [Wink]
[signature]
Last Friday my son and I caught 21 Kokanee and one trout. The Kokes were between the 8-12 inch size and the trout was 21 inches and 3 lbs. As per usual the Kokes are running small again this year. Great for smoking which I did on Saturday.

----jim
[signature]
We have fished Mackay a few times sine I last posted. It has been pretty slow lately. We would get one here and there and come home with 10 or less. We went up Friday the 13th fished 3 hours and didn't get one bite. We fished at the main dock by the ice houses. Talked to a couple guys in an ice house. They said it has been slow.
[signature]
We fished Saturday 14th is was also super super slow. we caught a couple between 5-6 guys. Hoping to go early Feb.
[signature]
Sorry so slow on report. Fished Saturday the 14th caught 1 Kokanee and 1 trout by the ice houses by the boat ramp. Between 5 of us it was SLOW!! Sunday we switched it up and went to the next sportsmans access to the north and absolutely hammered the Kokanee!! It was slow until around 11 and then they started biting. We caught 60 fish and packed up and back at the truck by 2:30! What a difference a day makes! Swedish pimples and meal worms were the ticket. Caught 1 fish on my jawjacker and the rest you had to be jigging. Had a blast! I've only posted a few times, I'll try and figure out how to post some pics. I'm a little electronically challenged if you know what I mean.
[signature]
Mackay Jan 15,2017
Thanks for the report.
Windriver
[signature]
Has anyone been back out? Any new reports, how thick the ice is? fishing still good? Thanks in advance.
[signature]
Any current reports? Wanting to make the drive from utah?
[signature]
We were going to head in the morning but buddy said water is going over the spillway and we are out. You could call Sammys to see if you want to make the trip.
[signature]
[quote RJD007]We were going to head in the morning but buddy said water is going over the spillway and we are out. You could call Sammys to see if you want to make the trip.[/quote]

Not sure water over the spillway is accurate. It's about 90% full. They're going to let more water out starting tomorrow to make room for runoff. I can see the dam from my house, but not the spillway. I may have to take a quick run up there in the morning.
[signature]
Any report on the conditions?
[signature]