Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alabama Grouper Fishing
[size 1]Hello Anglers,
Happy New Year to all. We have been fishing a lot this winter and it has produced a lot of nice fish and memorable outing. On Saturday January 18, 2004 we fished a group of regular clients and had a great trip. We had 16 people and, had 16 amberjacks up to 50 lbs and a nice collection of big Triggerfsih. Most of the Amberjacks were taken off of big rocks on live bait in 300 ft of water. The triggers we caught in 150 ft on private reefs and were taken on cut squid. We were unable to do any grouper fishing with the current running as hard as it was.

We fished Firday January 23, 2004 with a group of new customers. The guys wanted to do some deep water fishing so off we went. Started in 190' and worked offshore until we got located in 240'. No current and a slick calm day produced 23 scamps, 2 nice gags, and 2 red groupers. We did manage to get 5 nice jacks, due to 5 nice baits, that we caught on the way out! It was a great trip and hope to get some more calls for the deepwater stuff it is good right now.

Good luck and tight lines to all![/size]

[size 1]Capt. Johnny Greene [/size]

[size 1][url "http://www.fishorangebeach.,com"]www.fishorangebeach.com[/url][/size]

[size 1][/size]
[signature]
Thanks for the great report,

have you guys been getting out lately? if so how often do you make runs?
[signature]
We run private trips everyday staring after Easter and after the opening of Red Snapper Season on April 21st it will be pretty busy. We still have some good dates open in June,July and August. In the middle summer our focus will shift from Grouper ... then to Snapper and then to Yellowfin Tuna's. Cobia season is just a couple of weeks from really getting to its prime. I will keep the reports coming this year! So check back with us often
[signature]
That sounds like a Busy summer!! What are the chnaces of me booking a trip around the 10th or 11th of April for me, my 13 year old son and his grandfather? My son wanted to go fishing in the Gulf for his birthday.
Thanks,
Ben
I can go on the Saturday of that week. I do not have any others to go in with you but if you want the boat to yourself it is not uncommon and will be a good trip. On a full day you could expect Amberjacks, Triggerfish and maybe a few Groupers. Hopefully the Cobia will be running good by then and we could hit the beach for a little while and try our luck with them. Let me know.

Thanks
[signature]
whats the rate for an offshore trip for three of us, with a possible beach run for Cobia? I caught my first Cobia last season fishing on the Hired Gun. That was a new experience for me coming from southern California.
[signature]
I do not offer any kind of a "split party' or "walk on" type trip. If the three of you would like to charter the boat for something like that, I think that with Tip and fish cleaning included you would be looking at $2000.00 for the day. The Cobia haven't really got going good as of yet but by that weekend it should be pretty good.

Thanks
[signature]
I can certinally understand that. I wish you guys all the luck in the world. If you make it to the area swing by and say hello!

Thanks and good luck.
[signature]
Thanks, And we will be in the area on the 1oth and 11th. Any advice or opinion on the Swoop?
[signature]
It is a big head boat that makes their money in packing people on like cattle. You can make it two ways in this business. Sell high quality trips with lots of personal attention or sell a trip with a ton of people at a really low price.

If you are just looking to take your son out and see how he will do it is probably a good way to go without spending a lot of money. Then if he likes it and you have some time to plan a trip with other people then you can always step up another trip and go for something better. I would think that one boat in Destin is just as good as another, as long as, you keep in mind that you will get what you pay for and that the trip is for you son. Spending the day with him is the most important part of the trip ( I know that i still remember my first trip with my dad and i have no idea what or if we caught anything). If you do that you will have a good time on any boat that you go on. A cheap trip is a good way to teach a kid that it is a sport that is called fishing not catching. You probably are not going to catch a whole lot on a half day trip but go and have a good time.

I bid you fair weather and lots of memories.
[signature]