Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salmon Idaho Steelhead
Hello All,

Guess I should introduce myself.

New to Big Fish Tackle, recently moved to Idaho Falls and have been enjoying the great fishing on the South Fork. I am not very good at flyfishing yet but always have fun! I float the river a couple times a week in my Drift Boat.

I was curious, are there good sections of the salmon river near either challis or salmon to float / fish for steelhead? What time of year does the fishing start to pick up?

Tight Lines,

Keith
[signature]
Welcome to the boards!

There are so many opportunities for fantastic fishing in the Idaho Falls area.

As far as floating the Salmon River it is very accessable by either Challis or Salmon and in between. There are numerous boat ramps depending on the size of float you are wanting to take for the day allowing you to customize your trip accordingly. Right now the river is fairly iced over but when the water warms up a bit around late February to early March you should be good to go.

The fishing can be fantastic if conditions are right and the fish are in the area. It is truly one of the prettiest floats and rivers in the west. Your best bet when it warms up will be floating between Salmon and North Fork. There are multiple ramps in that 20 mile stretch. If you don't mind packing the boat downstream there is a good float below Panther Creek as well.

Early October to ice over can be a fun time to catch the fish as well before they winter up for the year.

Have fun and good luck! To me there is nothing better than chasing steelhead or salmon around on that river. The fishing can be great, but even if it is not, there are fewer placed prettier than the Salmon River.
[signature]