Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ririe Report
Ririe was good to me again today. Ice was good. We were fishing in 50 ft of water. The kokes seemed to like 25-30' the best. Pink Swedish pimples, Pink rat finkies, pink anything tipped with mealworms. Different schools had different sized fish. Seemed like all sizes were represented today up to 13".
Yesterday caught a true jumbo perch. Today the biggest ones were 10".
Windriver
[signature]
Wow, looks like a great day! Thx for the report!
[signature]
Well the fish are there we just have to find them. Next week's weather looks crumbie.
Wind, snow, rain with warmer temps. I'll be out there on Monday keeping up the search.

Good catch Windriver. Sounds and looks like you found the honey hole.
[signature]
Great day on the hard deck buddy! Congrats on a nice catch! [fishin]
[signature]
That's awesome! I hope to get up there soon.
[signature]
My son, one of his buddies and I went up to Ririe yesterday. We caught 30 between us on pink Swedish pimples, tipped with meal worms and red corn. Most were the 10-12 inch class. My son caught a 15"er.
[signature]
I found them today and got my fifteen in an hour and 1/2. Road was slick as I have ever seen. Wasn't sure about the hill going into the dock area but it was sanded a little from earlier. Saw five other groups. One fella told me he caught a walleye yesterday on a purple rapala jigging.

There was about an inch of water on most of the lake. Must have been from the rain and snow cover. Hopeful to get a cold night that will freeze the surface again. Still about 7-8 " of ice.

Plan to try it again tomorrow with a friend. Maybe to windy if the weatherman is right.
[signature]
Sounds like you had a good day.

Has anyone heard how the ice is after all of the rain and wet snow?

I bet it was cool to catch that walleye, but I hope those catches are few and far between. If they overpopulate the lake then we can kiss our kokanee and trout goodbye. IDFG won't continue to plant those fish if they are just to be food for the walleye.

Are most people moving closer to the bank to get on the perch?

Sorry for all the questions, I frequent Ririe during the summer but I haven't ice fished it for a while now. I'm just curious to hear people's strategies for getting on the fish there.
[signature]
As of yesterday morning the ice was fine so slush or water on the Ice bit after yesterday afternoon that may have changed. The perch I've been cathing have been in aboit 60 foot of water. They can probably be caught in shallower. I'm just fishin for them in between schools of kokanee. The kokes habe schooled me so far this year. I've caught a couple but are having a hard time getting them to commit. More time on the ice and I'm sure I'll get it figured. Ice is 8 inches or so and clear ad glass! I'll be out tomorrow morning and Friday afternoon. White Chevy half ton.
[signature]
I forgot to mention the walleye. I had a massive mark come on my screen yesterday morining all the perch left as well as the school of kokes that were about 50 ft down. He just sat right on my jig and kept bumping it. Now I've never fished for walleye but firm what I understand they bump the jigs for some reason. I have no idea what it was as i didn't actually hook it. It could have been a big smallie. Or it could have been a big eye. I wish I had hAve found out!!
[signature]
AS of this morning the ice where I was at was 9 1/2 inches. The rain and snow from yesterday froze and at 0630 I was walking on solid ice. After catching my limit of kokanee I walked back at 1100 in a little bit of slush. We are going into another cold spell so the ice will be fine.
[signature]
[quote Steelie30]I bet it was cool to catch that walleye, but I hope those catches are few and far between. If they overpopulate the lake then we can kiss our kokanee and trout goodbye. IDFG won't continue to plant those fish if they are just to be food for the walleye.[/quote]
Not sure I agree with those thoughts on the walleye, here is Utah we have a lake(Starvation) where there is a huge population of eyes and the trout don't seem to have any issues with them, as a matter of fact the lake has one the best trout populations around. They get so nice that we call them Starvation steelheads, there is also some huge browns there as well. I can't speak for the kokes but since they normally inhabit the upper water column and eyes the lower, I'm really don't don't think it would be an issue. Were you speaking with the IDFG about this?
[signature]
That comes from Jon Flinders who is a regional biologist in this area. I have attached a link below to the article that talks about the balance of fish in Ririe Reservoir.

http://www.eastidahonews.com/2016/11/sch...reservoir/

I think it all depends on what anglers want to catch. Walleye aggressivley feed on fry and that is how the Kokanee are planted. The trout that are normally planted now would probably be ok, but Kokanee would have a hard time if the Walleye numbers begin to increase drastically. The population now is very low, but it can grow.
[signature]
That makes sense, fry from all fish are in danger when walleye are around and if they stock kokes that small they would be food for eyes thats for sure. So the kokes don't naturally reproduce in Ririe?
[signature]
I believe there are both stocked and natural produced Kokanee. I know they work over towards Willow creek to spawn in the late summer/fall, but I don't believe there is enough escapement to maintain the quality fishery. I believe for that IDFG introduces the kokanee fry into the reservoir. I could be wrong, but that is what I understand from what I've learned.
[signature]
The ice was about 9 inches where i was as well. caught some more perch and a real nice cuttie in 60 ft of water. still no kokes. the ice is now broken up at the ramp, there is a 3 foot gap from the dock to the ice. be careful!!
[signature]
Did you use a board to get on the ice
[signature]
No. In a couple days you might need it
[signature]
They're likely walking off the dock. I heard a firsthand report tonight that the shore has receded more on some spots.
[signature]
The Ice has been broken up along the dock and shoreline near the ramp. You can still access the ice from one side of the dock near the end. I had another great day although the morning temp was colder.

I ended with catching 17 kokes and kept 14. Nearly 10 inches of ice on the south side of the lake. Boy the ice was cracking today. Probably will continue to add ice thru the end of the week.
[signature]