Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jiffy Pro4 Propane Issue
Fourth season with my propane Jiffy and only had this issue once before when it was below 0. Freezes up after a couple of holes then have to warm it in tent if I want to drill any more holes. Granted it was -15 on Pineview this morning but it's supposed to be rated to -20. I tried wrapping it in a blanket from the vehicle to our spot but that didn't seem to help once I started drilling. After 3rd hole the cold got to it and bogged it down to nothing. Anyone have any tricks to keep her warm in the bitter cold?? Other than that I've been totally pleased with this ice shredding machine. :-)
[signature]
Since it is likely it is the propane getting cold, how about carrying a spare in a small lunch cooler to insulate it from the cold?

Good luck with it, those are great augers!
[signature]
Maybe you could wrap a couple of hand warmers around the tank and insulate them with something to keep the gas warm while drilling.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Great ideas fellas! That's what I love about this forum!!
[signature]
I know tank level affects performance try a full one when it's really cold and use the emptier ones on warmer days good luck
[signature]
Its tough when it is cold i keep my auger in tent with me the other day when it was 30 below that was the only way i could keep it running
[signature]
I second those that have recommended keeping the fuel warm. I have the first Jiffy propane model that came out several years ago, and I have only had problems in the reeeeaaally cold. I always keep my cylinders in the cab of the truck while en route to the ice, and if there is room, I'll keep the power head in the cab as well. Also, as was mentioned, I've had problems when the fuel level is low when it is really cold. Use a full cylinder on the really cold days and it should eliminate those issues.
[signature]