Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burbot
Hey so I realize this is the Idaho board, but does anyone have any tips for Burbot fishing? I am going to go to Flaming Gorge and try the Burbot Bash for the first time. I really just wanna catch those ugly buggers and see if the are really as delicious as they say. I know glow baits with cut bait attached is supposed to be the ticket but if someone has some more tips I would really appreciate the help.
[signature]
I don't have any secrets but I will say I am successful using a good glow bait tipped with sucker. Make sure to recharge the glow often. I like to use a pretty heavy 3/8oz jig head. I also like the glow airplane jigs. I also pound the bottom when I jig. The burbot are not shy and often come charging in when you stir up the bottom with your jig. Spray some crawfish on your jig as well. I usually fish rocky boulder areas in 15-35ft of water.

I've never fished Flaming Gorge I fish Clark Canyon pretty often.

Good Luck
Windriver
[signature]
If you don't mind doing some reading, this should really help:
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...core&mh=25
[signature]
Try some Cut'r Bugs, we added 9 times more Glow pigment. They glow bright for hours.

[signature]
I love maniac lures. Not sure the glow really helps for most of the types of fish I catch though.
[signature]
It really depends on how deep you are fishing, the deeper you fish the less light there is and if you are night fishing they really do help, even in shallow water. We used maniac lures when we started the Burbot Bash years ago and they were awesome.
[signature]
Windriver is spot on with his information. I would tell you the same thing about them. I have caught them from swim beach up to firehole and I will tell you that if you can get away from the people on unfished water that helps alot. Any bay in 30ft with structure is good. Good luck
[signature]