Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TURKEY NEWBIE
I am thinking about trying my luck with Turkey hunting this year. I have NEVER done it and don't know much about it. Where would you suggest going and what advice would you give to a beginner?

Thanks!
[signature]
I suggest finding some private land with limited access and lots of turkeys. Public land turkey hunting is a total zoo. I don't do it much anymore just because it is nuts.
[signature]
Hi there!

I turkey hunt a lot in Idaho. I can help you out.

In the spring season, you will want to have a turkey call and do proper calling techniques to call them to you. Set up a blind in your desired area and wait. this is the most important part. go early in the morning or early afternoon, before they begin to fly down or before they begin to roost. they will gobble a lot and you will hear them. In spring, you can only take males, referred to as TOMS.

I attached a picture of the one I took last spring.

I took down two last year in area 5, one in spring and one in fall before I moved to Nampa. I am going to Garden Valley, ID to hunt on opening day this Saturday. I hear there are a lot of turkeys there.

Good luck!

Jared
[signature]
This was mine and my dad's first year of Turkey hunting also . We hunted up around featherville and kooskia and both shot two birds each in 3 days . So there are definitely some birds up that way. We hunted public land only and spent half of the time up there just trying to find public land to hunt but when we did there seemed to be plenty of Turkey's. We ended up with a 9.5 inch, 7 inch, 2 inch and 1 inch bearded birds. It was a blast. I learned how to call watching youtube videos and liked the box calls best for versatility. Did you end up making it out?
[signature]