Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High tech gear -- perhaps saved lives (OT)
[#660000][size 5]Tech gear helps save 14 ice-bound fishermen[/size][/#660000]

[font "Verdana,Helvetica,Arial"]Associated Press[/font]
[font "Verdana,Helvetica,Arial"][size 2][/size][/font]

[font "Georgia,Verdana"][size 3] CLEVELAND — Cell phones, night-vision goggles and a satellite tracking system are being credited in the rescue of 14 fishermen stranded on ice in Lake Erie.
First, the stranded men used their cell phones to call for help during a January weekend when the ice floe broke loose northwest of Catawba Island. The Coast Guard was able to find the men more easily because they carried a global positioning system unit, which allowed rescuers to pinpoint their location.
Then rescuers used goggles to see five miles ahead in the twilight. Everyone was back on land within two hours. No one was injured.
One of the rescued fishermen, Kim Neill of Bellevue, Ohio, has been using his global positioning system for about four years. He also carries a cell phone and wears a flotation suit.
"This group did everything right," said Mark Butts, a Coast Guard helicopter pilot and the commanding officer at Air Station Detroit.
[/size][/font]
[signature]
With all the gear that is available now, I can't emphasize enough how important a gps and some form of communication is. I just finished a GREAT book about people surviving in the outdoors particularly the North West. It is called Panic Rising. I would recommend it to all of you.

When I am done with school I plan on buying a satellite phone. They would be perfect for all the outdoor things I do.
[signature]
Lake Irie is a big water with lots of inherent dangers just like the ocean. When kayak fishing in the ocean, I always bring a waterproof marine band radio, cell phone, gps, flares and a compass. These are essential equipment because you never know when the fog will roll in or an offshore wind will try to push you to Hawaii. However, when ice fishing Pelican the most sophisticated piece of equipment I bring is my Shimano reel. LMAO

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
Based upon my experience ice fishing Pelican you are taking more equipment that you need! (LOL)
[signature]
Sounds like a good idea to be prepared for whatever could happen. Accidents do happen and that is why they are called accidents. It is good to be prepared and know how to handle them.
[signature]
FYI we have been killing them at the Pel ever since you left. Tincan warned me about your bad juju. LMAO

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
I think that you were afraid that if you showed me where you really fish Pelican that, with my superior catching skills, that I would make that four hour drive every weekend and the lake would be overfished! (LOL)
[signature]
Superior catching skills eh?. Wow, I'd hate to see you on an off day.

Hehehe

Good Ribbing, Kayote
[signature]
I can't catchem if you take me where they aren't! (LOL)
[signature]
The caveat of using hi-tech is the reliance people grow to have on them. Then when the batts die, they have no self-rescue skills to their avail. Things like celestial navigation, being able to triangulate your position with a map & compass, etc. Not a biggie at Pelican, but can be a lifesaver in more remote climes. The most important survival tool is one's noggin.
Sorry. This was a little bit of a private joke between Kent, Tincan and I. This thread at the end had nothing to do with technology. Kent was ribbing me that a reel was to much technology at the Pel because I had him and Tin drive all the way out from SLC to get skunked. BTW For those interested, Pelican is very hot right now. Fish the east end near the reeds. It's been hot for weeks. I know Kent is wincing right now, but it's the truth. I swear, I have witnesses. K2 and I will be there sat and I'll bring back the digital proof.

Good Fishing, Kayote.
[signature]
Nothing to be sorry about, unless we bored everyone to tears reading our posts. Glad to hear that you are getting into them at Pelican. Give me a shout when the water is a lot softer (like soft enough to get a boat on it) and I wouldn't mind giving it another try. In the meantime, I can freeze to death and get skunked at lakes alot closer to me than Pelican.
[signature]