Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Found a dead burbot at Pineview today!
I sure hope someone can prove that it's not a ling. We don't need those ugly things in any more waters. FG and Fontenelle are enough for me already, there is already plenty to go around for everyone.
[signature]
The DWR's Northern Region Aquatics Manager was able to recover the fish and did identify it as a burbot. It had the tell tale barbel under it's chin. It looked like it had been dead quite a while. This doesn't mean they were stocked or that fish was caught in Pineview. There are many ways that fish could have ended up there but it is very concerning. Just the possibility of burbot being introduced into Pineview makes my head hurt.

I really appreciate the heads up but if you do see something out of the ordinary please take a picture and if at all possible bring the fish to a DWR office for confirmation and most importantly if you catch a fish that you can't recognize or you don't think it belongs where you caught it please take a picture and contact the DWR and please don't return the fish to the water.

Drew Cushing
801-538-4774
[signature]
Definitely will do, I'm sure I'll be at the View again sometime soon. If one of those ugly fish get on my line, I'll definitely let DWR know. I was hoping they would confirm it as something else, an alien would have been better. For now I'll just hope someone caught it somewhere else and threw it out of the truck even though that is pretty shady in itself.
[signature]
as the jaws theme music starts to play!!! That is a bummer... All can hope not... Just keep your fingers crossed that is was a dirty prank..
[signature]
Yeah Im on the fence with this one lets hope it was a twisted prank. Guess its just a waiting game now, if there in there they will turn up within the next year. I kinda want to see if I can go up and catch one Sad as it sounds[:/]
[signature]
Hope that this was a freak shot and that they weren't planted there.[mad]
[signature]
Long time viewer but first time poster. I figured I would chime in on this post to calm everyone down. I know of the person who put the fish there and where it came from and I can assure you it was not out of Pineview. He recently Visited the Gorge and it was left in his truck from the trip. I'm sure he could have discarded the fish in a better location but he probably wasn't thinking or cared about the panic it might cause. So that's the story from him and we can all continue to enjoy the View!

Bob
[signature]
If you want to catch a burbot, just drive up to Flaming Gorge and catch all you want. I think the rule on "bucket biologists" ought to be "s, s, & s".[Tongue][Tongue][Tongue] At least justifiable homicide if you do shoot one.
[signature]
Fhew, what a relief! I hope your friend realizes the seriousness of what he did and the alarm that it raised. Next time just put it in the dumpster, not near an extremely popular Utah fishery.
I just appreciate the honesty. Thanks! I suspected it was something like that but it did alarm more than a few folks at the DWR.

Drew Cushing
[signature]
Thanks for the honesty...I couldnt imagine someone planting burbot in pineview but then I dont understan bucket biologist as a whole anyway. I am sure you will mention to your friend the concern caused to fisher folk and the DWR. The dead fish could have rode back to the house and been disposed of there.
[signature]
These fish are already in the Green river sytem on the way to Lake Powell
[signature]
Thanks for the update. Even though they are uglier than sin, this guy shouldn't just waste fish like that. They are still good for the table.
[signature]
[quote perchski]Thanks for the update. Even though they are uglier than sin, this guy shouldn't just waste fish like that. They are still good for the table.[/quote]

Indeed - that's what I've heard. As much as a pest in the wild they may be, good eatin on the table - they truly can be.

(never caught one, haven't tried one, but if it takes more muskies to tame them bring 'em on! I hop to try musky or pike fillets someday also)

Funny thread, now that the wind is out of the sails anyway.
with all the good fishermen we have fishing the narrows in the fall somebody would have caught one by now, we jiged from 30 to 50 feet almost every day lets hope they arent in there that lake has enough problems
[signature]
Read the post from above, they didn't catch it in there. Some yahoo threw it out of his truck there after he caught it at the Gorge.
[signature]

Wow someone actually fessed up. I'm guessing by this post your intentions were to plant em in pview it just died on the way so you threw it on shore? just kidding. Tell your friend to use his brain next time[laugh]
[signature]
I like others here hope this is someones sick joke and not really true. If not, I volunteer to help the DWR this spring if they are thinking of doing some shocking at Pineview looking for burbot.
[signature]