Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard, no skunk
Great post … great story … great report Tin.

Because you have found success in fishing Willard the way you do, you probably won't change (and I don't blame you), but if I may, here are a few suggestions for you:

1) Use a Fluorocarbon leader (100% fluorocarbon). Fluorocarbon is a whole lot more abrasion resistance than mono. I use fluoro leader connected to my braided line when fishing for tiger musky at Pineview and have never had a cut off.

2) Now I know you are more of a catfish man than a wiper man, but for those of us who prefer catching wiper over catfish, because we frequently troll fast, those wiper don't have much time to analyze (or even see) the line. As such, might as well increase the pound test of your leader to leader to 14 lb. At 2-4 mph, they'll never see that invisible fluorocarbon line.

3) You mentioned using a swivel in your rig. I'm not sure why you would use a swivel unless your terminal lure is a design that turns over and over in the water (like a spinner). Consider using a duo-lock snap in place of a swivel. A snap doesn't detract from the realism of the lure as much as a swivel does. Those rattle-trap type lures don't rotate in the water … no need for a swivel.

4) Take me with you some evening. I'd love to watch and learn from you. I remember a few years back when you just first showed up on this board and were looking for help and suggestions for fishing Willard. Now you are obviously "seasoned" at it and might have lots to share with those of us who are always ready to learn more.

Anyway, thanks for sharing that great fishing report!

--- Coot ---
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Willard, no skunk - by Tin-Can - 07-22-2018, 12:32 AM
Re: [Tin-Can] Willard, no skunk - by wiperhunter2 - 07-22-2018, 01:13 AM
Re: [wiperhunter2] Willard, no skunk - by Tin-Can - 07-22-2018, 02:04 AM
Re: [Tin-Can] Willard, no skunk - by wiperhunter2 - 07-22-2018, 03:21 AM
Re: [wiperhunter2] Willard, no skunk - by Tin-Can - 07-22-2018, 09:06 PM
Re: [Tin-Can] Willard, no skunk - by UThunting - 07-22-2018, 03:22 AM
Re: [Tin-Can] Willard, no skunk - by Old_Coot - 07-22-2018, 02:47 PM
Re: [Old_Coot] Willard, no skunk - by Tin-Can - 07-22-2018, 09:45 PM
Re: [Tin-Can] Willard, no skunk - by RockyRaab - 07-22-2018, 10:26 PM