Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard, no skunk
Hey Ralph, thanks for the reply. I guess I will have to give Fluorocarbon a try. I've continued to use Stren Clear Blue Florescent for many years mainly because I can see it. I use braided line on my heavy poles that I use on the river or at UL when hunting Cats specifically. I use a 12 lb. Stren leader off of the braid mainly to be able to break it off when it's snagged. Rather loose a couple feet of line and a hook, than have to cut off several yards possibly of braid. I don't troll with braided line simply because I can't see it.

When I fish Willard, and someone asks what I'm fishing for, my standard answer is " Anything that bites" I never target one specific species at WB. When I have tried that in the past, I come up with an empty live well.
Willard is the first place I have ever fished in my life that the Cats would hit a lure. Surprised the stuff out of me.

I tried 14 lb. line several years ago. Never noticed much difference between it and the 10 lb. I used for awhile, except that I couldn't get as much on my reel. So I compromised several years ago. The 2 poles I keep on my boat that are dedicated trolling poles get new 12 lb. Clear Blue Florescent every year. I've lost fish at Willard before, but this year is the first time I've experienced a clean break off in the same place twice.

Your point about swivels and duo-lock snaps is well taken. And I believe you gave me that advice before.
And I did start using them. Can't really give you a good reason I stopped. Slipped back into old life long habits when I'm at the tackle area of the store I guess. (I used to do lots of Bass fishing in Georgia and Florida) Started using swivels back then cuz I didn't like tying my lures direct to my line like most other Bassers were doing. Just a weird personal preference I guess.

Ralph, I don't fish in the evening. Usually too late by the time I get off work, get home, take care of 2 dogs, then go to storage unit to get boat. Maybe when I retire in a couple years.............[Wink]
When I first showed up on this site, I was new to fishing from my own boat. Had never had one before 2004. Never used the trolling tactic in the south unless it was offshore. But I have fished in some way or another since I was 7 or 8 years old. That's well over 50 years ago.
I never mind helping or answering others questions. But I just don't think that you fall in the category of someone I could tell something new.

I'm not trying to be the greatest fisherman in Utah, or the one that catches the biggest or most fish of any species. I fish because I enjoy being near or on the water, like to eat fish I have caught and cooked myself, and it helps me keep my sanity when so many I am around are loosing theirs.

[Wink] [fishin]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool

Messages In This Thread
Willard, no skunk - by Tin-Can - 07-22-2018, 12:32 AM
Re: [Tin-Can] Willard, no skunk - by wiperhunter2 - 07-22-2018, 01:13 AM
Re: [wiperhunter2] Willard, no skunk - by Tin-Can - 07-22-2018, 02:04 AM
Re: [Tin-Can] Willard, no skunk - by wiperhunter2 - 07-22-2018, 03:21 AM
Re: [wiperhunter2] Willard, no skunk - by Tin-Can - 07-22-2018, 09:06 PM
Re: [Tin-Can] Willard, no skunk - by UThunting - 07-22-2018, 03:22 AM