Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need advice on a good Utah fishing boat.
I bought a used Crestliner, my first boat, back in the mid-to-late 80s. I'm sure they're better now but it was a pretty crappy boat. Bought a new Alumacraft 165 Magnum tiller steer in ~1995, and really liked it. I fished up to 20 miles off shore out of La Push, Washington, and caught more fish it in than the boat weighed. Still miss it some days.

I'd look seriously at them if I was in the market. Marine Products, the local dealer, has a couple of Alumacraft 185 FXSs in stock, $40K for boat, motor and trailer. The Mercury 150HP engine is awesome. Add maybe $10K for electronics, etc, and you could be out the door in the mid 50's. If it was me and I wasn't in a hurry I might order one with a 115HP, so you could troll with it and not have a kicker.

Most boats are undertrailered. The 185 FXS is on a single axle trailer with 15" wheels. I run Goodyear Endurance tires now after a few catastrophic failures of Chinese tires (Carlise, etc). Not good when it happens anywhere, but especially in the Columbia River Gorge.
Single main, no kicker. Wink

Messages In This Thread
RE: Need advice on a good Utah fishing boat. - by Paddler - 06-01-2024, 04:13 PM