Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vinatge Angling - Upper Weber River
In the 1985 June issue of Outdoor Life there is an article that states "you can catch more fish with a dry fly than a worm". Cookie and I are doing a fun video series where we search out old methods or locations from vintage outdoor magazines and testing, recreating or exploring them. This was the second trip/video in that series.

To explore the concepts in this article I took a recommendation from a couple members on this site to a location on the Upper Weber River. Thanks guys, for that recommendation - you know who you are and I really appreciate the suggestion. The hike in was amazing, the river was rough and rugged as it ran down steep section of boulders and some ledges but was laced with exceptional pools and riffles to fish. Flows were low and crystal clear. If I was not careful and presented a shadow of my big old cowboy hat on the water the fish had lockjaw, but if I applied a we bit of stealth (as best an old cowboy can) I found very willing brookies and cuts. 

The article stated that the Royal Coachman has caught more fish than any other fly. Dont know where he got the data to support that claim but staying true to following the article that is what I fished with and the trout did not seem to mind biting a floating Christmas tree that looks absolutely like nothing that actually floats down the water - got to love that.

I fell hard at one point. Dont tell Cookie or she will stop letting me solo boondocking like this. Also dropped my camera in the river and had to go underwater or it. Great trip. Great area. Great fishing with Jim McCue and his 1985 story

here is the video

https://youtu.be/_qxxbD5-yNQ?si=ybzCnmr9dFdq03gI
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew

Messages In This Thread
Vinatge Angling - Upper Weber River - by Cowboypirate - 08-30-2024, 01:59 PM