Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah AIS - You too can get involved
(10-01-2024, 10:34 PM)dubob Wrote: I took the time to contact my State Representative today with some thoughts on the AIS program in Utah.  Please feel free to use my words in any way, shape, or form and contact your representative.  If you don't get involved, nothing will ever get changed.   Big Grin

Quote:First off, I am 100% in favor of the program.  I’m originally from Michigan and know first hand the amount of damage and cost that the invasive mussels can cause.  The problem in Utah is this – the folks that are dreaming up the regulations to combat the problem are doing so with little to no thought about managing the program to make it easy for the boat owners to comply with the antiquated verification system.

1. Take and 100% pass the AIS test.
  2. Register your vessel(s) (watercraft)
  3. Pay a $20 fee (resident) for each vessel
  4. Print out AIS Test completion certificate
  5. Display certificate on the dashboard of tow vehicle
  6. Print out fee payment receipt
  7. Display receipt on the dashboard of tow vehicle

That is cumbersome and doesn’t really accomplish anything.  I wish the state would simplify the system and make it easier for the owners to comply and easier for Park Rangers to ascertain the owners are in compliance.  This can be accomplished by completing steps 1 thru 3 above.  Then, the state will issue two (2) AIS decals for every vessel registered.  One of the decals would be placed on the vessel as it is currently required to do.  The second decal would be placed on the vessels trailer.  That way, the Park Ranger can easily verify in the parking lot that a vessel out on the water has been registered in the system and the owner has completed and passed the AIS Certification Test.  A fishing/ski boat trailer would have one decal on its whereas a jet ski trailer might have two (2) or more decals on it, one for each jet ski transported on that trailer.  It is, IMHO, a much simpler process, it eases the process for both the owners and the Rangers, and essentially adds an insignificant cost to the paperwork (1 decal vs 2 decals).

I and a whole lot of other vessel owners would like to pursue this issue with the folks that actually manage this program.  Can you at least recommend a department head within the Natural Resources Division that we could work with to elicit a better working system than the one that is in place today?

Thank you for any advice or help you can provide regarding this issue.
Brilliant!
Thanks for doing that Bob!!

Messages In This Thread
Utah AIS - You too can get involved - by dubob - 10-01-2024, 10:34 PM
RE: Utah AIS - You too can get involved - by MrShane - 10-02-2024, 03:52 AM