Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah AIS - You too can get involved
I took the time to contact my State Representative today with some thoughts on the AIS program in Utah.  Please feel free to use my words in any way, shape, or form and contact your representative.  If you don't get involved, nothing will ever get changed.   Big Grin

Quote:First off, I am 100% in favor of the program.  I’m originally from Michigan and know first hand the amount of damage and cost that the invasive mussels can cause.  The problem in Utah is this – the folks that are dreaming up the regulations to combat the problem are doing so with little to no thought about managing the program to make it easy for the boat owners to comply with the antiquated verification system.

1. Take and 100% pass the AIS test.
  2. Register your vessel(s) (watercraft)
  3. Pay a $20 fee (resident) for each vessel
  4. Print out AIS Test completion certificate
  5. Display certificate on the dashboard of tow vehicle
  6. Print out fee payment receipt
  7. Display receipt on the dashboard of tow vehicle

That is cumbersome and doesn’t really accomplish anything.  I wish the state would simplify the system and make it easier for the owners to comply and easier for Park Rangers to ascertain the owners are in compliance.  This can be accomplished by completing steps 1 thru 3 above.  Then, the state will issue two (2) AIS decals for every vessel registered.  One of the decals would be placed on the vessel as it is currently required to do.  The second decal would be placed on the vessels trailer.  That way, the Park Ranger can easily verify in the parking lot that a vessel out on the water has been registered in the system and the owner has completed and passed the AIS Certification Test.  A fishing/ski boat trailer would have one decal on its whereas a jet ski trailer might have two (2) or more decals on it, one for each jet ski transported on that trailer.  It is, IMHO, a much simpler process, it eases the process for both the owners and the Rangers, and essentially adds an insignificant cost to the paperwork (1 decal vs 2 decals).

I and a whole lot of other vessel owners would like to pursue this issue with the folks that actually manage this program.  Can you at least recommend a department head within the Natural Resources Division that we could work with to elicit a better working system than the one that is in place today?

Thank you for any advice or help you can provide regarding this issue.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(10-01-2024, 10:34 PM)dubob Wrote: I took the time to contact my State Representative today with some thoughts on the AIS program in Utah.  Please feel free to use my words in any way, shape, or form and contact your representative.  If you don't get involved, nothing will ever get changed.   Big Grin

Quote:First off, I am 100% in favor of the program.  I’m originally from Michigan and know first hand the amount of damage and cost that the invasive mussels can cause.  The problem in Utah is this – the folks that are dreaming up the regulations to combat the problem are doing so with little to no thought about managing the program to make it easy for the boat owners to comply with the antiquated verification system.

That is cumbersome and doesn’t really accomplish anything.  I wish the state would simplify the system and make it easier for the owners to comply and easier for Park Rangers to ascertain the owners are in compliance.  This can be accomplished by completing steps 1 thru 3 above.  Then, the state will issue two (2) AIS decals for every vessel registered.  One of the decals would be placed on the vessel as it is currently required to do.  The second decal would be placed on the vessels trailer.  That way, the Park Ranger can easily verify in the parking lot that a vessel out on the water has been registered in the system and the owner has completed and passed the AIS Certification Test.  A fishing/ski boat trailer would have one decal on its whereas a jet ski trailer might have two (2) or more decals on it, one for each jet ski transported on that trailer.  It is, IMHO, a much simpler process, it eases the process for both the owners and the Rangers, and essentially adds an insignificant cost to the paperwork (1 decal vs 2 decals).

I and a whole lot of other vessel owners would like to pursue this issue with the folks that actually manage this program.  Can you at least recommend a department head within the Natural Resources Division that we could work with to elicit a better working system than the one that is in place today?

Brilliant!
Thanks for doing that Bob!!
(10-01-2024, 10:34 PM)dubob Wrote: I took the time to contact my State Representative today with some thoughts on the AIS program in Utah.  Please feel free to use my words in any way, shape, or form and contact your representative.  If you don't get involved, nothing will ever get changed.   Big Grin

Good communication as always Dubob.
I have a couple of issues though that I don't quite agree with.
First, $20 fee per vessel.  Fine for those with one vessel, but myself...I have several.  I think one fee per person passing the test is enough.
Not all motorized vessels have a trailer.  Tube dude doesn't use a trailer...My inflatables have no trailer, and my canoes and kayaks go on the roof racks.
How would you feel about doing numbers 1 and 2, then, make #3 registering your motor vehicle associated with the vessels (up to 3 like the state parks pass allows) which would allow rangers in the parking lots to scan license plates, and ALL of the AIS information associated with that MV would be available to them.  Including vehicles like mine that launched, but because of no trailer there is no evidence of me launching unless I am near the vehicle.
This would make #4 paying the $20 and that would be it on our end.  Let the state code writers figure out the rest as how to make it work with their scanners and all.
(10-02-2024, 12:53 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: Good communication as always Dubob.
First, $20 fee per vessel.  Fine for those with one vessel, but myself...I have several.  I think one fee per person passing the test is enough.
Not all motorized vessels have a trailer.  Tube dude doesn't use a trailer...My inflatables have no trailer, and my canoes and kayaks go on the roof racks.
How would you feel about doing numbers 1 and 2, then, make #3 registering your motor vehicle associated with the vessels (up to 3 like the state parks pass allows) which would allow rangers in the parking lots to scan license plates, and ALL of the AIS information associated with that MV would be available to them.  Including vehicles like mine that launched, but because of no trailer there is no evidence of me launching unless I am near the vehicle.
This would make #4 paying the $20 and that would be it on our end.  Let the state code writers figure out the rest as how to make it work with their scanners and all.
You bring up valid points.  Please contact your representative with your views.

My view would be that for those individuals that don't need a trailer for their mororized vessel, then the second decal should be attached to the rear of the tow vehicle.  I would think this is less costly to the state (a second decal vs rewriting the DMV software to accommodate matching vehicles to watercraft).  I'm good with either scenario.

But of course, I like mine better.
  Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
When I had a kayak, I added a note to my AIS sheet saying "This is my launch vehicle" so I wouldn't get ticketed for parking in the trailer area. The specialized racks on my roof added proof.

Therefore, I like the idea of placing the "trailer" decal on the vehicle rear bumper if that is how you launch. Very clever.
(10-02-2024, 01:08 PM)dubob Wrote:
(10-02-2024, 12:53 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: Good communication as always Dubob.
You bring up valid points.  Please contact your representative with your views.

My view would be that for those individuals that don't need a trailer for their mororized vessel, then the second decal should be attached to the rear of the tow vehicle.  I would think this is less costly to the state (a second decal vs rewriting the DMV software to accommodate matching vehicles to watercraft).  I'm good with either scenario.

But of course, I like mine better.
  Big Grin
Again, I agree with many of your points.  It is the vessel however that is certified, not the vehicle that transports the vessel.  I am not sure how to work out when my wife or son (who have both completed the course) uses their car to transport an inflatable vessel instead of my truck. Which would have the second sticker because it tows the trailered boat.

Bottom line, the more of this we can solve for them and more direct we can be with our proposed solutions the better chance we have of getting support from the legislature.
Election is in 1 month, act now while they are listening.
(10-02-2024, 04:35 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: [font="Open Sans", sans-serif]It is the vessel however that is certified, not the vehicle that transports the vessel.  I am not sure how to work out when my wife or son (who have both completed the course) uses their car to transport an inflatable vessel instead of my truck. Which would have the second sticker because it tows the trailered boat.[/font]
I actually called the agency that manages this program questioning the need for the printed receipt being placed on the dashboard.  The agencies answer was so the Park Rangers can verify the vessel brought in on the trailer was registered with the AIS program without actually having to go out on the water to check vessels for registration via decals.  You may have a utility trailer you use for a kayak or 3 and a float tube.  The receipt on the dash tells them that you registered a vessel and what that vessel is.  It doesn't tell them that the vessel on the water is the one associated with that receipt or how many vessels there are on the water.  Having a decal on the trailer/vehicle in the launch ramp parking lot does the same thing.  It says you registered one or more vessels (one or more decals) but doesn't tell them which registered vessel is on the water.

In the case that you described, your wife or son's car parked in a single parking stall at the ramp would not trigger a suspicion that the car was a tow vehicle of a non-towed water vessel by itself.  A trailer in a launch ramp parking area is a fairly good indication that a watercraft is out on the water somewhere, a car with no trailer, not so much.  A car with an empty rack on top could be taken either way, but I doubt the Ranger would lose any sleep fretting about it.

But again, if you believe your method is a better way to go, then by all means, pitch it to your state representatives (House and Senate).  Either change is better than what we currently have.
Bob Hicks, from Utah