Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arctic Graylings?
+1 Mojorizing!!

Since when is posting where you have caught fish, how you have caught fish, and posting the pictures, anything but being helpful on BFT.

Frankly a post that shows how someone else has done at a lake and especially pictures of the fishing gets me fired up to go and try it.

Comments about it being "showing off" just show an immature attitude and a bad case of jealousy. Sad!!!
[signature]
I hope Joni my comments about agreeing with showing off were lighthearted joking. I thought that was also what Brookieboy was doing. I guess he can speak for himself if he wants. My comments about disagreeing about the fight of grayling is just my experience and what I've heard a handful of others state that generally agree with my assessment. Joni is the only person I ever heard tout the fight of a grayling. If she or anyone else disagrees with me that's fine- give your opinion. However I didn't post that to just disagree with her. In my opinion you should be fishing for grayling in Utah for the novelty and will be sorely disappointed if you think they fight like kamloops. On top of that in Utah they are extremely small fish ( almost all are single digit in ounces and inches). Between those 2 factors I consider them the most difficult fish to detect their bite or even if you have one hooked in still water. I'd strongly suggest using the lightest rod you have if targeting them. I have great memories of taking my son and his friend fishing in a lake with them a few years ago. His friend's younger sister tagged along. None of the kids had ever caught a grayling before. Not only did she out fished the 2 boys combined overall in trout and grayling but she caught her first grayling before either of the boys.
[signature]
Way to go girl--- out fish those boys!

Got to agree with you, most of the grayling are small, but are great fun on an ultralight or 3wt flyrod. I use a 3wt in the high mountains so every baby brookie feels like a monster! [laugh][laugh]

Greylings are fun because they are a different species, they are pretty, and they are in some beautiful high mountain lakes. Some of those lakes wouldn't have any fish because of winter kills, if it wasn't for the extra "toughness" of the greyling. I can't remember that they fight extra hard or not. The fought like a little fish on a light weight rod! Fun but not a fight like a fresh steelhead or salmon.

Anyway it is good to know there are some greyling lakes that are a little easier to get to. Thanks for sharing the info everyone!
[signature]
When they hit the 17-18" range and around 2lbs. they tug pretty darned good.
[signature]
Probably the easiest access is smith and morehouse right at the inlet. caught a bunch there last year. They must have planted them in there last year because I have never caught them there in years past
[signature]
Back in the late 80's early 90's, a good friend and I hit a couple lakes Round and Sand lakes? Not sure which. But back then we were poor and our main interest was to catch fish for the table to supplement our pancake diet in the back country. This picture was scanned in. The Largest fish was at my best guess over 18 inches, but it is just a guess as we did not carry a tape measure. We caught well over a hundred fish over 3 days and these were without a doubt the largest fish we caught over the trip. The average size was more like 7 inches. If I knew then what I did now, I would probably have grabbed that fish and taken him directly to a DWR agent and probably been in some kind of record book.

We have made another attempt or 2 at the lake, with nothing over 12 inches to show for it. But knowing what I know now those may have been part of the original fish stocked in those lakes. AHHH!!! To be young again crawling around the mountains!
[signature]
Here here! Well Said.
[signature]
That is a great pic. The only time I have seen grayling that size was mounted on a wall that were caught in Northern Canada.
[signature]
'Course I was only just kiddin' with Joni. She's on another site with me and we do that there sometimes without people getting twisted up or twisting it up. Sheesh! [crazy]
Holy $#!T is right.
[signature]
I take my Driftboat to trial lake a lot in the summer and caught a ton last year. Let me know if you and your dad would ever want to get out there. Probably wont be happening until end of June though.
[signature]