Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear River Refuge Update
OK, not a fishing report really, only an idiot like me would go out today when it is cold, rainy, and so windy the ducks won't fly.   Blush

But, water levels......  

The river seems like it is flowing normal to even a little high, but as you proceed into the Refuge you will find every gate open fully and water flowing out.  It does not appear that they are putting it into the fresh water marshes/pastures, but running it right out to the GSL unimpeeded.  When you drive around the auto tour route even the gates at the far end are flowing fast and heavy, allowing water to run straight through.

I am not sure if they plan is to use early water to replenish the GSL or if they fear flooding and are trying to make room, but the result is that by the time you get to the lower sections of the river before the buildings it is pretty low.

The following pictures show a typical open gate and a couple of mud flats.  

[Image: mud-flat-1.jpg] [Image: mud-flat-2.jpg] [Image: open-gates.jpg]

OK, I did wet a couple of lines, but the cats were so small they could not keep the bait in their mouth to get a hook (OK, I was using some pretty large chunks.  LOL).  Still, only one came to the top before letting go and the other one or two just pecked at it until the meat was off the skin. Rolleyes
Now that was a long slow curve from left field...only to break it over the plate by admitting a skunk.    'Salright.  Happens to all of us...especially this year and this time of year with the wacko weather and unreliable water situation.  At least you didn't waste a whole day sheltering in place.  And it was decent of you to practice social distancing with the fish.
(04-15-2020, 10:14 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Now that was a long slow curve from left field...only to break it over the plate by admitting a skunk.    'Salright.  Happens to all of us...especially this year and this time of year with the wacko weather and unreliable water situation.  At least you didn't waste a whole day sheltering in place.  And it was decent of you to practice social distancing with the fish.

Why can't we practice social distancing on our lakes no matter what county you are in, seems like the perfect place to me? If any one comes within 6 feet of my boat while i'm fishing they will dang sure know about it. Same goes for launching or loading your boat who is going to get to within 6 feet of another boat on the ramp? I can see them shutting the parks to camping but come on now lets get real.  Angry
PACFAN, I feel your pain.  I fought for the rights and freedoms of this country and I see the politicians taking them away.  I swore to defend this country from all foes, foreign AND domestic.  I do understand, and am concerned about the deaths from the Virus, but, if we are indeed in a "war" against the virus, well, let's just say that 2 deaths per thousand would have been considered a major victory in any war fought until now.

Let's stick this out for now, but perhaps Michigan showed us the next step (10,000 car protest in their state capital today).  Let's see if reason and common-sense rule in DC and in our State Capitals.  If our Governor sees that we are getting frustrated with the loss of rights and freedoms, perhaps this will help him weight out the next choice he makes.  It is unfortunate that he is not running for Governor again: we have no option to vote him out.  At this time, I am not sure he would win a one candidate race for dog catcher.

Again, Let's stick this out for now! Let's see if reason and common-sense rule in DC and in our State Capital.  In the mean time, a little Free Speech is a good thing.
These are just some random comments and are NOT directed at any one individual.

I’m trying to see this from a bigger picture viewpoint.  The think the folks making counties close and parks close etc., are looking at this from a broader view also.  If people come to a county/park that are not residents of the county they visit, they are more than likely going to hit other venues on the way there and/or on the way back.  Not everybody is going to do all of this, but enough will do this such that there will be an increase in the possibility that a carrier of the disease will infect someone or something which will ultimately infect a resident of that county.

There will be pit stops for fuel, for food & drink, for bait, for a potty break.  A carrier will touch a gas nozzle, a rest room doorknob, a snack package that is returned in favor of another one, a coffee machine button/coffee pot handle, etc., and leave behind a germ or two thousand.  Yes, I know – it won’t be you.  But can you absolutely, 100% guarantee it won’t be the guy right behind or in front of you?  No, you can’t.  So, the increased possibility is that some anal opening from another county will NOT follow all the guidelines and put people that live in that county at greater risk.  The threat is real folks.

I see all too many folks on here and on other websites treating this pandemic as if it’s nothing more than a PITA and the restrictions geared to protecting as many folks as possible are infringing way too much on their own personal life.  You really should open your eyes and look past the tip of your nose.  There is a whole lot more at stake than a missed fishing opportunity or 3.

It may be a long dry spell before I’ll be putting my boat in the water.  I can live with that.  And for the next month or so – if I do get it in the water – I’ll be fishing solo.  I’m not sure about how many fishing years I have left, but a damn sure don’t want to shorten that by doing something stupid.  I will not knowingly put any of you at increased risk from my carelessness or from violating any of the necessary legal restrictions imposed by our elected officials.  And I would hope that each and every one of you would show me the same curtesy.  Thanks for listening.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(04-15-2020, 10:14 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Now that was a long slow curve from left field...only to break it over the plate by admitting a skunk.    'Salright.  Happens to all of us...especially this year and this time of year with the wacko weather and unreliable water situation.  At least you didn't waste a whole day sheltering in place.  And it was decent of you to practice social distancing with the fish.

What skunk? the wind was so hard I couldn't smell no skunk.  Confused   I mean the wind was so hard that I was on the South Bank of the River, made a token cast toward the center of the river and smacked a deer in the head in Idaho.  Poor deer still has my fLIG stuck in its ear. Dodgy

You are so right; I did not waste a whole day at the house.  In fact, my wife told me to get out......    At first, I thought she meant permanently, but she just meant she had work to do and I was interrupting.  Heart    I have been so confined that I figured I'd rob a bank, just so the punishment would fit the crime.  At the drive through teller (Bank doors are closed) they actually thanked me for wearing my mask and asked me to have a good day.  Blush  Ya, they didn't figure I was serious.  Big Grin  

As for social distancing with the fish, well at one time I considered not even putting bait on the hook, but what would be the fun in that. 
Angel  

As I think about this, a couple of weeks more of this "Stay Home, Stay Safe", a couple more weeks of social distancing (OK, I guess that part’s not so bad – LOL) a couple more weeks of this weather, I WILL be ready for the rubber room.   
Confused Huh Tongue Big Grin Maybe I already am?

"These are just some random comments and are NOT directed at any one individual."

With that in mind, I was once taught, given a paradigm if you will, that "your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins".  I believe that this was once considered a truism! 

If one has their God given rights restricted by Government, or anyone else for that matter, then they are the ones being damaged, their proverbial nose being hit.  It is the Government, or the one restricting the rights, that is swinging their proverbial fist.

Has God retracted our rights?  Is the truism no longer true?

I understand that there are the OLD, the INFIRM, among us.  But they cannot swing their fist, expect us to impair our lives, to the exclusion of ones own responsibility to protect themselves.  This does not mean we do not have an ethical responsibility to do what we can to the point that we do not end up swinging our own fist.  Crashing 
the economy, creating mass poverty, mass starvation, mass confinement is surly swinging our fist, with all in our reach receiving damaged noses.

Again, a truism, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".  No death is acceptable, but death is inevitable to all who live.  I have heard it said the brave die but once but the coward dies many times.

Take care of yourself, weight the risk to you and your family, but respect the rights of the majority.  

​This is my opinion, for whatever it is worth.
thanks for the fishing report on a fishing forum
on a piece of water i never floated nor fished before a global health pandemic
[Image: SavedImage_0403201731b1_zpsbr2xcff0.jpg]
its a cool ecco system im hopin it warms up soon and git the sup out and on it
probably head that way tommarrow
tan rotomolded drifty powered by a bum and square top saywer sticks black and white not gittin social distancing landseer newfoundland copirate.
Possibly one of the 2 people my better 1/2 allows fishing contact with
probably cranking out the buffalo springfield
"for what its worth"

"Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
You step out of line, the man come and take you away "
-steven stills
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
Anglinarcher, PACKFAN, dubob, I believe there are quite a few of us BFT members that have served this country in many ways. Military, civil service, commercial jobs that support the safety, health, and economy, maybe even elected positions or volunteers. To those I respect and salute you. And to the greater percentage of our population that have been, and are being useful and productive citizens at whatever they do, you have my respect also.
You all have my sincerest hopes and prayers that you, your families, and all those around you remain safe,  healthy, and wise enough to know the difference between temporary restrictions of freedoms and tyranical government over reach.  I completely understand the previous statement

I swore to defend this country from all foes, foreign AND domestic because I too have taken that oath many times since the age of 17.  For now, I will comply to the best of my ability, within reason. If at a time it becomes warranted, I will resist. That oath of enlistment I took at age 17 has no expiration date. 

Be Safe, be aware, fish on.   Smile

"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool