Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln war
So.... Three battleships and one light cruiser (kayak) sallied forth from Lincoln this a.m. to confront and do battle with the be-whiskered enemy The enemy was scattered so we had search and destroy missions go in all directions. The enemy remains elusive and reluctant to engage in fierce battle. The real fight is to begin as soon as the enemy regains a healthy appetite or seeks the company of comfort cats.

Nice but cold today. Water was 47 and warmed to 50 by noonish. I picked up a white bass at the dock and used it and carplettes to catch eight cats -- longest was 26 1/2. Nice weather,Slow fishing. Met Craig and Ben on the water; when i left they had each caught a fish or two, Ben was just getting started. Got to meet Fritzfishin in the parking lot as he was leaving with his yak to try Provo. Good to meet him.

Expect Craig and Ben to post up some big ones later today. I plan to take up the battle again tomorrow. I will be posting my 30+er then.

It's coming, soon we will be able to get after them without worrying about frost bite.

BLK
Got to meet ya blk, I'm at saratoga, 3 mud cats and lots o people. One 26.5 incher at lincoln in 3fow right by the weeds, tough day. Got here at 9am and still out here
(04-17-2020, 09:23 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: I plan to take up the battle again tomorrow.
See you there, well maybe, Might not get there till afternoon,
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
I came today too, but arrived late at noon. Had planned to leave real early and go on out to Flaming Gorge, but family issues kept me home so decided to try LB late. I saw Craig out on the water - he was still there when I left. Weather was still quite cold - light jacket required - and no fish wanted to play. Talked to the DNR folks that came in while I was loading. They had nets on their boat and said they had caught a lot of white bass along Sandy Beach in the nets - no waleye some carp few cats and no junies. Sounds as if the whites are just getting ready to make babies.

Well guys and gals, this is probably my last UL trip as I heard when I arrived home that the state parks have opened - yes I know not Jordy and Deer Creek, but they can't be far behind with the state's lead. It's been fun fishing with you UL guys, but I am going to turn my attention to my koke passion. See you in the funny papers.
Glad all the state parks opened up today... maybe less people will be at utah lake now ?
(04-17-2020, 11:52 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: Glad all the state parks opened up today... maybe less people will be at utah lake now ?

Not all of the state parks are open. Wasatch and Summit counties still have restrictions in place for recreation for people that are not county residents.

Look up the list on the State Parks page to see what is open to everybody.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Thanks all for your info. I'm heading to LB as soon as I can. I'm thinking maybe next weekend.
(04-17-2020, 09:23 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: So.... Three battleships and one light cruiser (kayak) sallied forth from Lincoln this a.m. to confront and do battle with the be-whiskered enemy The enemy was scattered so we had search and destroy missions go in all directions. The enemy remains elusive and reluctant to engage in fierce battle. The real fight is to begin as soon as the enemy regains a healthy appetite or seeks the company of comfort cats.

Nice but cold today. Water was 47 and warmed to 50 by noonish. I picked up a white bass at the dock and used it and carplettes to catch eight cats -- longest was 26 1/2. Nice weather,Slow fishing. Met Craig and Ben on the water; when i left they had each caught a fish or two, Ben was just getting started. Got to meet Fritzfishin in the parking lot as he was leaving with his yak to try Provo. Good to meet him.

Expect Craig and Ben to post up some big ones later today. I plan to take up the battle again tomorrow. I will be posting my 30+er then.

It's coming, soon we will be able to get after them without worrying about frost bite.

BLK

Hey Lynn, Thanks for the report! 8 sounds like a good day considering our rough and cool spring conditions. Way to go! I'm not saying anything about youir 36"er this year because I was sure you would get it last year and must have jynxed you. Keep up the good work!
I've just been given medical clearance to chase cats and I'm looking for a bit warmer day to make my first assault. If I was retired and indendently wealthy like some folks I might get out there more oftenWink
Keep me in mind if you need a deck hand on your boat next time, that kayak was rough ??
Well I stayed until after 4:00 and finally caught my third cat at 3:30ish. Right on schedule since they seem to heave to and surrender about every 2 hours or so. They were 23.5 and two 24 inchers, exactly average according to the records I kept last year. It was fun seeing you all out on the lake and especially that you all checked on me to see that I was all right and shared your success or lack thereof. A special thanks to Fritz for helping me out when I wrapped both lines around the propeller; what I get for stopping to take a leak Tongue .

Maybe someday we all ought to plan to have a flotilla instead of just meeting up incidentally. It looks like Lynn had two advantages that resulted in his several fish while the rest of us got between zero and three: carplettes and an early start. I'm off to another late start today--meeting my brother with his canoe at LB.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Thanks Jim, good to hear you are coming of the injured reserve list; I hope it was nothing too serious. We need you and it will be good to get you back so you can contribute to the south's victory over the north this year. Wink

Had a good day yesterday but only one respectable 26 1/2 incher, all the others were cutters -- 20 -23 inchers. Still, lots of fun even in the cold weather.

Fritz-- Will keep you in mind as this social distancing thing starts to ease up. I gotta be careful with that stuff cuz wife and I would both be gone if it visited our home. Better times to come.

Went out again this a.m. I made a run to Provo Bay... nothin' there. Went back to my old hunting grounds out in front of the first spring and marked lots of fish (carp?) and managed to ketch one good cat. He taped out at 27 inches, might have stretched him to 27 1/2 with a third hand. Good, calm weather and lots of boats out.

Passed Mike (MSM1970) on the road as he was heading out to maul the eyes again. He got past me in his truck before I could give him a thumbs up. Overcast skies and ripple on the water probably had him hyped to get on the water.

The DWR was there today checking licenses and quagga certification. Nice and friendly guy. First time in 10 years at Lincoln that I have ever had to produce my license for a warden. He was looking for certification dertificates placed on the dash of all vehicles launching boats. Looked like a couple of outfits were denied launch??

Craig-- Good to see you again. I wasn't sure if you were coming or going when I met you at the dock. Hope you had a good day. Every day is a "flotilla" day for me because I have put in my time at the salt mines and am now reaping the benefits of being unencumbered by the demands of gainful employment. As you know, retirement is great and I highly reccommend it. My only regret is that I did not retire 20 or maybe 30, or even 40 years sooner.

The best is coming.
BLK
Sorry I missed all the fun.  Wish I could have been there to lend immoral support.  As I mentioned in our email exchange, I kinda doubted the fishing would be wide open but did suspect there would be a few volunteers.  The projected warming trend should get the bigger fish moving again.  I might test that theory Monday...maybe at American Fork.  Haven't sampled it yet this year.

Hope the back to back outings helped ease your troubled mind a bit.  Ya gotta concentrate and get back on yer game.  With the relaxing of some of the restrictions the pressure on Utah Lake should diminish a bit.  Nothing left but the hardcore catters and white bass harvesters...and maybe a few leftover walleye warriors.  It's all good.
Lyn, you left kinda early, pleny of poeple there, DNR checked me, he said everyone was playing nice, thanked him for being there. launch and headed to my spot, water temp 49 deg, moved lookiing for warmer,   few WB, finaly  hooked a big one saturday just after the jig hit the water, it was very exciting until it showed it color, big old golden eye, in the net,  retreived my jig and was going to take a pic and a gilectimy it started fliping and off the dec in the motor well, tied grabing with pliers but they aint got no lips to hook onto, ended up slipping over and out before I could do surgery, weathered a storm to the southm made some wind, cleared up nice after, stayed till 7 only wb and only a few, 

showed up dark and early sunday hopeing to find some, had a bunch of bumps with out much comitment, few WB, finaly had a taker right about 24, still had some left over eggs, (look by the latch) took pics and sent her back for next week or year, 

looing at the weather the water temp might might come up over 50 deg, been seeing taht for 3 weeks now, the day the WB where in there it reached 52 deg, this week should be better.
[Image: 4-19-20.jpg]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]