Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry - Out With the Masses for Kokes
Wink 
Hit the Berry early Saturday at Strawberry Bay Marina, along with what looked like half of the Salt Lake Valley... No problem launching when it's barely light. Took a longtime fishing friend and two newbies wanting to learn all about Kokanee fishing. We started in the main bay and looped toward Mud Creek. Not much to show except for a few Cuttys. Moved to a couple of other spots that have produced in the past and the fun was on! Caught Kokes & Cutts steady for most of the morning. The neophytes lost six at the boat. Coaching helped later. Ended up with six very nice ones in the cooler. Overall, not a bad morning out. Most we got were @ 15 feet, with some down as far as 35 feet, typically over +50 foot depths. Water was incredibly clear - could see down 15 feet, which probably helped get more bites. Used mostly pink, orange and purple UV  squids today. Retrieving the boat was a joke with people who have no clue how to land a boat and all the boats trying to launch at 1:00pm in the wind. Almost got squashed by a huge pontoon boat getting pushed over into me by the wind... Ah, the joys of fishing during Kokanee mayhem...

TiteLines
(06-21-2020, 07:16 PM)TiteLines Wrote: Hit the Berry early Saturday at Strawberry Bay Marina, along with what looked like half of the Salt Lake Valley... No problem launching when it's barely light. Took a longtime fishing friend and two newbies wanting to learn all about Kokanee fishing. We started in the main bay and looped toward Mud Creek. Not much to show except for a few Cuttys. Moved to a couple of other spots that have produced in the past and the fun was on! Caught Kokes & Cutts steady for most of the morning. The neophytes lost six at the boat. Coaching helped later. Ended up with six very nice ones in the cooler. Overall, not a bad morning out. Most we got were @ 15 feet, with some down as far as 35 feet, typically over +50 foot depths. Water was incredibly clear - could see down 15 feet, which probably helped get more bites. Used mostly pink, orange and purple UV  squids today. Retrieving the boat was a joke with people who have no clue how to land a boat and all the boats trying to launch at 1:00pm in the wind. Almost got squashed by a huge pontoon boat getting pushed over into me by the wind... Ah, the joys of fishing during Kokanee mayhem...

TiteLines

Thanks for posting your report. With all the people out fishing any more it's surprising we don't hear of some bad accidents either at the ramp or out on the water. Glad you made it in safe and were able to put fish in the boat with a couple of newbies. Any size to your kokes?
Biggest was 19", the rest between 17"-18". My guests took all the pics, so I don't have any!