Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm thinking about making a waterfall
Well, I'm making a little head way on the water fall portion of the pool. Not sure if this will be the final version but you can get the idea now. The next thing I need to do is get some mortar to put it all together with, any suggestion on what I should use? I was thinking about using the same stuff they use for laying bricks[:/]. Here are a couple of pics.
[signature]
Finally got it finished, hows it look? Now I've got to start the landscaping around the hill. Any ideas?
[signature]
Looks pretty good.

As far as plants go,I would look for something that handles that filtered light.

I see you have agapanthus in the back. You can match those with its lesser cousin called Liriope Muscari.

You can also get the Peter Pan variety of the agapantus. They are just a mini version of the larger plants.

Gazania Riggens may be a good idea too. They handle the heat and cold extremes of Utah. [cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the suggestion Steve but what is the agapanthus you are referring to? Would another name be Iris?
[signature]
I enlarged the photo and saw that you do have Iris.

I did research a few more species of plants that would go well around the pond.

There is a list of the drought tolerant plants from Utah. You may want to chose some of the lower growing plants, perennials or even ground cover for a nice finished look.

https://waterwiseplants.utah.gov/
[signature]
Thanks for the info Steve, this week, I'm going to get a bunch on basketball sized rocks and place them around the base of the little hill I built and around the waterfall, then I'll start placing the plants, that info should really help, never thought to look at the state of Utah for info like that.
[signature]
bump
Looks like I lost all the pics from my waterfall, here are a couple of new ones with all the plants filled in around and in the pool.

[Image: 100-3296.jpg]

[Image: 100-3297.jpg]
It's really filled in nicely all around it. We've netted as many baby fish as we could (nearly 100) and relocated them so they have better success rate chance. Today, we changed the location of where we have had them since our new pup Rosie likes splashing and drinking water so much. We didn't keep count of how many have made it the 1 inch long size, some look to be naturally colored (blah) but there were also quite few already showing signs of good coloring (yeah!). They'll all be returned to the big pond later this summer.
(06-28-2020, 02:02 AM)jjannie Wrote: It's really filled in nicely all around it. We've netted as many baby fish as we could (nearly 100) and relocated them so they have better success rate chance. Today, we changed the location of where we have had them since our new pup Rosie likes splashing and drinking water so much. We didn't keep count of how many have made it the 1 inch long size, some look to be naturally colored (blah) but there were also quite few already showing signs of good coloring (yeah!). They'll all be returned to the big pond later this summer.

Yes, it's turning into a real jungle around my waterfall.
Where do you keep all those baby fish while you are letting them grow bigger and how long do the adult fish live?
I haven't updated this since last year, here are a couple of pics. The first one is just the waterfall, Iris starting to bloom. The second pic also shows the waterfall but also shows my walnut tree, it is over 6 ft tall now. You can see the difference in the background now with the new condo that went up.

Attached Files Image(s)

That tree is really growing well. Your iris have filled in and look great. 

We haven't yet started up our big pump on our pond since we are catching as many tiny baby fish as we can to raise them indoors safe from predators, it also allows us cull the uncolored ones. We do run the under gravel filter. So far Rosie has not jumped into the pond thankfully but she sure loves drinking the pond water! the community cats also area happy to hang around so far they have caught any fish but they do quench their thirst as well.
I just went out and measured it and it is 6 & 1/2 feet tall. On the other hand, my other walnut tree, that I bought at the same time is only three feet tall Huh
Here is a couple of pics, with a board by them so you can compare the size, pretty crazy the size difference.

Attached Files Image(s)