Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Questions about Boobies
Was given Boobie fly and fished it this morning. Caught three fish pretty quick using a type 3 sinking line in my tube. Pretty strong takes so much so fish number 4 never slowed down and might still be swimming around with my fly in it’s mouth. Can these be fished with a intermediate sink line? What retrieves have worked for you? What colors have worked for you? Sizes?
(07-31-2020, 06:37 PM)Sharknado Wrote: Was given Boobie fly and fished it this morning. Caught three fish pretty quick using a type 3 sinking line in my tube. Pretty strong takes so much so fish number 4 never slowed down and might still be swimming around with my fly in it’s mouth. Can these be fished with a intermediate sink line? What retrieves have worked for you? What colors have worked for you? Sizes?

Yes. I fish a 2-fly Booby rig on an intermediate line a lot. Usually a small impressionistic fly on the dropper w/ Booby 24-30 inches on the point. I was very skeptical at first... and that went away in hurry. I usually keep this rigged up and troll from spot to spot with it. If I don't draw a strike within 5-10 minutes I will stop and strip it back quickly. Also, if I get a hit/miss I will stop immediately... 9/10 times the come back and strike it on the pause/rise.

I started out tying and fishing a size 10 Tequila Booby and haven't wavered from it.

[Image: Recipe-stillwater-Tequila-Booby.jpg]
"We fish for pleasure... I for Mine, you for yours."  -James Leisenring
(07-31-2020, 07:57 PM)Joe_Dizzy Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 06:37 PM)Sharknado Wrote: Was given Boobie fly and fished it this morning. Caught three fish pretty quick using a type 3 sinking line in my tube. Pretty strong takes so much so fish number 4 never slowed down and might still be swimming around with my fly in it’s mouth. Can these be fished with a intermediate sink line? What retrieves have worked for you? What colors have worked for you? Sizes?

Yes. I fish a 2-fly Booby rig on an intermediate line a lot. Usually a small impressionistic fly on the dropper w/ Booby 24-30 inches on the point. I was very skeptical at first... and that went away in hurry. I usually keep this rigged up and troll from spot to spot with it. If I don't draw a strike within 5-10 minutes I will stop and strip it back quickly. Also, if I get a hit/miss I will stop immediately... 9/10 times the come back and strike it on the pause/rise.

I started out tying and fishing a size 10 Tequila Booby and haven't wavered from it.

[Image: Recipe-stillwater-Tequila-Booby.jpg]

What size Booby eyes do you use on a #10 hook? Do you buy them pre-made or do you cut them from foam cylinders? I need to tie me a few but need to get some more materials. It's funny how much fly tying stuff I have accumulated but rarely use.... but don't tell my wife that... Big Grin
(07-31-2020, 08:58 PM)Riffle Wrote:
What size Booby eyes do you use on a #10 hook? Do you buy them pre-made or do you cut them from foam cylinders? I need to tie me a few but need to get some more materials. It's funny how much fly tying stuff I have accumulated but rarely use.... but don't tell my wife that... Big Grin

I buy the cylinders at Fly, Fish, Food in Orem (incredible fly shop... I haven't driven straight through town since they opened). I cut them to 1/2" (about 1/8" leftover per cylinder). I then bevel the edges with scissors before tying them in.

The brand name is HENDS Booby Eyes, size 11-6 on a size-10 chironomid hook (Mustad C49-S).

When they get on them at Strawberry it's wild. Seemed like there was a sweet spot around 9:30-11:00 (after the chironomid hatch tailed off) when they went Boobylicious. On more than one occasion I would release a fish, recast, and before I could get underway trolling from the tube another fish would snatch it off the surface. Most (if not all) were hooked within 2 feet of the surface on that Type I line.
"We fish for pleasure... I for Mine, you for yours."  -James Leisenring