Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Where was hooked on utah show filmed? 6/26 show
I did not recognize the reservoir, and they did not say.

Anyone know?
it was Deer Creek! several shots showed the highway above the cliff area just north of Rainbow bay and then several shots showed them on the gravel banks/flats on the Heber Creeper side of the res. They did not fish up in the north end grass flats.
Hmm, I thought i would of recognized DC. The second half was definitely deer creek from years past (water was flooded I to the trees).

Did they break the show into two locations?

The first half was a res I have never seen and had a very small boat ramp.

Thank you!
Water is being diverted from the Weber drainage to the Provo to maintain Jordanelle and Deer Creek. Provo provides culinary water for SLC so Deer Creek and Jordanelle will be maintained at current levels as long as possible. Hence, Rockport and Echo, which are primarily irrigation, will be continued to be drawn down to the conservation pool. They are both already at levels that you usually don't see till middle of August. Water is becoming scarce folks. That is also why you are seeing an increase in the power squadron at both Deer Creek and Jordanelle, they can't launch anywhere else and it is going to get worse !!!
Definitely Deer Creek.  And at one point Gary makes mention of the "clear water in Deer Creek".  However, the program was pieced to together with edited pieces from different years and at many different places around the lake.  I suspect that they may have launched at the small ramp at the upper end of Walsburg.  It is reserved for private parties or special entries.  The guy with Gary was a Heber City resident and may have had a permit.

And some of the footage that was not as easily identifiable looked a lot like some of the steep rock walls back in the Walsburg arm.  Otherwise...lots of recognizable shoreline...and Timp in the background of some shots.
Well. I will take my crow medium rare in that case.

Thanks for the info, based on what I have seen, DC is really producing some great large mouth.
Large Mouth in DC?  Back in the early 80's, they were the king there.  Smallies tend to out compete with them, so it is good to see the return.
(06-28-2021, 04:31 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: Well. I will take my crow medium rare in that case.

Thanks for the info, based on what I have seen, DC is really producing some great large mouth.

As AA mentioned, DC used to be a great largie lake.  Fantastic around the flooded brush in the upper end in the spring.  Good along the rocks all summer and some superb "spooning" in the fall as the fish moved into deeper water.  There was also some good buzzbait action around the shoreline and stickups in the Walsburg arm.  Lots of fish in those days over 2# and fair numbers in the 4# range.  Saw a couple of 5+ fish and heard tell of a 6 or two.

But alas.  When the smallies were introduced they outcompeted the largies both for habitat and groceries.  These days the largemouths are fairly rare and more than one or two in a full day of serious bassin' is a good day...for greenfish.
Looks like I stick to the eyes then! Thanks for the info!
(06-28-2021, 06:32 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: Looks like I stick to the eyes then! Thanks for the info!

Looks like you know your way around those silly fish.  The good news is that Deer Creek has been producing good numbers of walleyes for several years...if you fish the right ways, at the right time, with the right stuff.  But, as your most recent trip illustrates, just finding the fish is never a guarantee of catching them.  And sometimes you have to keep looking until you find active fish that will vote for what you are offering.

The big problem with a lot of anglers on Deer Creek (and everywhere) is that they get locked in to fishing the same places and the same way on every trip...without consideration for changing depths, temperatures, food availability, fish activity levels or anything else.  Then, if they don't catch fish they blame it on the moon, boat traffic, DWR or Covid.  Whatever.  For me, I always enjoy the challenge of doping out the pattern du jour and then being able to catch fish while everybody else is still sticking with something that ain't working on that day.

I fished bass tournaments in my distant past...before deciding I did not like competition fishing.  But I learned a lot.  And the one biggie I learned from that kind of fishing is that on any given day...on any body of water...under any set of circumstances...there will be some fish biting somewhere for somebody.  There were days when after a big front came through or some other major event that almost everybody struggled to catch even a few fish.  Then, at weigh in time, one or two teams would come in with limits of bigguns. 

I learned that if what you're doing ain't workin'...do something else that will work...and keep trying until you start scoring.  You won't always catch fish, but it's for sure you will catch more than if you just hang it up and whimper a lot.
(06-28-2021, 08:29 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(06-28-2021, 06:32 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: Looks like I stick to the eyes then! Thanks for the info!

Looks like you know your way around those silly fish.  The good news is that Deer Creek has been producing good numbers of walleyes for several years...if you fish the right ways, at the right time, with the right stuff.  But, as your most recent trip illustrates, just finding the fish is never a guarantee of catching them.  And sometimes you have to keep looking until you find active fish that will vote for what you are offering.

The big problem with a lot of anglers on Deer Creek (and everywhere) is that they get locked in to fishing the same places and the same way on every trip...without consideration for changing depths, temperatures, food availability, fish activity levels or anything else.  Then, if they don't catch fish they blame it on the moon, boat traffic, DWR or Covid.  Whatever.  For me, I always enjoy the challenge of doping out the pattern du jour and then being able to catch fish while everybody else is still sticking with something that ain't working on that day.

I fished bass tournaments in my distant past...before deciding I did not like competition fishing.  But I learned a lot.  And the one biggie I learned from that kind of fishing is that on any given day...on any body of water...under any set of circumstances...there will be some fish biting somewhere for somebody.  There were days when after a big front came through or some other major event that almost everybody struggled to catch even a few fish.  Then, at weigh in time, one or two teams would come in with limits of bigguns. 

I learned that if what you're doing ain't workin'...do something else that will work...and keep trying until you start scoring.  You won't always catch fish, but it's for sure you will catch more than if you just hang it up and whimper a lot.

Very well said. Sometimes I just get lazy, too. Sometimes I fish hard and switch it up. It was crazy in sand hollow this spring. What was "working" was changing by the hour.
I pretty much have the LMB, SMB, and Walleye figured out on Deer Creek. Now I am trying to figure out the Crappie !! Where the hell do they suspend during the summer ?? Really frustrating @#$!%
(06-29-2021, 05:46 PM)Therapist Wrote: I pretty much have the LMB, SMB, and Walleye figured out on Deer Creek.  Now I am trying to figure out the Crappie !!  Where the hell do they suspend during the summer ??  Really frustrating @#$!%

The problem has an easy solution. The crappie I have caught on Deer creek arent suspended at all. Pretty much ever crappie I have caught have been pretty close to bottom in my experience anyways. Best locations for me are rocky points near drop offs. In early spring I have found them in the Walsburg arm. Keep trying, you will find them. 
Gabe