Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kokanee fishing
I know we have a ways to go yet but I spent last year getting ready to take up Kokanee fishing and am really looking forward to doing something I currently know nothing about.
I got a boat, little 14' tin can with a 6hp.
I outfitted the boat with an electric trolling motor on the front and color gps fish finder.  It's small screened, but seems very accurate.
I bought some used downriggers (manuals) that needed repairs and repaired them so they work great, put new ends on the cables and bought some cannonballs.
I got everything mounted in the boat and installed rod holders.
I got 2 Okuma coldwater line counter reels and 2 Okuma light kokanee rods and plan to spool them with 8lb test.

Now questions...
What line does everyone like for trolling?  Berkley big game is cheap, P-line is more but still not expensive.  I'll need about 330 yds each real.

Hoochies and squids?  From reading reports last year it seems like people prefer the smallest squids, with a double hook rig in pink, orange and green.  What is everyone putting on the hooks?  Corn?  Maggots? worm? Scents? 
Spinner in front?  Colored or shiney?
Flashers and dodgers?  Big?  Small? spinning or swinging?

I've only got $100 or so to drop on this stuff from a Christmas gift card so I don't want to waste it.  Any advice would be helpful.

I was invited to fish with Obi-wan last year but couldn't make it. I hope I get invited again this year by someone so I can spend the day with someone that has a clue, and learn about these things first hand.
I plan to fish mostly Jordanelle but will also venture to East Canyon and Rockport. The berry is a bit big for my boat but I will probably give it a try on the Soldier Creek side during the peak of the season there.
I run 10lb maxima on my reels. I first fill the reels with braid and then put a 100-200’ top shot of the mono on, this lets me change the top shot each year easily.
Pline CXX is my 2nd choice

The smaller squids have been the go to for the past few years ( I’ll reference Rocky Mtn Tackel as it is in most stores along the front so you can actually put your hands on it and see what it is, many other good products out there also). You can fish the squids with or with out a spinner blade, both can be effective. Plain I’d look at cotton candy names are on back of pkg (pink), clear body with orange stripe and something in a glow. The plankton squids have small spinner blades (theses are typically painted but I also use 00 chrome and gold blades) and have done well.
Generally I tie the leaders of the plain squids about 11”s long and stuff with blades about 18”s, this is just a guideline and meant to be broken lol, last year I used planktons at the plain squid length.

I use corn with a few different scents, bloody tuna, tuna oil from canned tuna and a krill (shrimp) scent. Need to keep the unused corn in the frig between trips, corn can go bad so if not fishing on a regular basis the maggots are a good option, I always have a jar in the boat just in case I forget the corn.

Dodgers
typically I use the 4” or 5.5” but have them from the small RMT tsunami’s to 9”, the dodger/sling blade add action so instead of changing leader lengths I switch dodger size
For colors I like a pink, hyper plaid, orange and a glow
Thanks for the reply.
I liked the idea of a top shot over braid. You use any braid and #test is not important because it's just filler? That makes buying more expensive line easier as well, using it just for a top shot.

When you talk of leader length do you mean a leader in front of the squid? I probably won't be tying my own yet so will be using what I can buy off the shelves. Are the prepackaged squids generally that length or should I clip and retie the front swivel to make them that length?
I do look forward to making my own at some point.
(01-15-2022, 02:08 PM)Gone Forever I would suggest watching (kokanee salmon seminar 2018) on YouTube. It is an great source of info. I was put on by DWR in 2018 and the talk about everything. Wrote: I know we have a ways to go yet but I spent last year getting ready to take up Kokanee fishing and am really looking forward to doing something I currently know nothing about.
I outfitted the boat with an electric trolling motor on the front and color gps fish finder.  It's small screened, but seems very accurate.
I bought some used downriggers (manuals) that needed repairs and repaired them so they work great, put new ends on the cables and bought some cannonballs.
I got 2 Okuma coldwater line counter reels and 2 Okuma light kokanee rods and plan to spool them with 8lb test.

Now questions...
What line does everyone like for trolling?  Berkley big game is cheap, P-line is more but still not expensive.  I'll need about 330 yds each real.

Hoochies and squids?  From reading reports last year it seems like people prefer the smallest squids, with a double hook rig in pink, orange and green.  What is everyone putting on the hooks?  Corn?  Maggots? worm? Scents? 

I've only got $100 or so to drop on this stuff from a Christmas gift card so I don't want to waste it.  Any advice would be helpful.

I was invited to fish with Obi-wan last year but couldn't make it. I hope I get invited again this year by someone so I can spend the day with someone that has a clue, and learn about these things first hand.
I plan to fish mostly Jordanelle but will also venture to East Canyon and Rockport.  The berry is a bit big for my boat but I will probably give it a try on the Soldier Creek side during the peak of the season there.
You are doing good, good suggestions from others. There are many great YouTube videos I would suggest. Some great videos on how to make Hoochie s . And how to use snap on weights.
(01-15-2022, 04:02 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: Thanks for the reply.
I liked the idea of a top shot over braid. You use any braid and #test is not important because it's just filler?  That makes buying more expensive line easier as well, using it just for a top shot.

When you talk of leader length do you mean a leader in front of the squid?  I probably won't be tying my own yet so will be using what I can buy off the shelves.  Are the prepackaged squids generally that length or should I clip and retie the front swivel to make them that length?

I use power pro 20lb test 6lb dia, it lets me put a lot of line on so if I need to go way back in clear lakes I can. I set up a leader jig as I tie a lot of my own stuff (pic below), it’s basically a plastic bottle bottom with a v notch cut into it and finish nails or brads put in at the lengths I typically use and it makes it nice for storage ( I use tackle buddies so all of the squids or spinners line up on 1 side which makes finding a color I want a bit easier) the prepackaged gear usually are tied on long leaders up to 30”’s so they all get shortened
[Image: 5-A47-A9-CF-0278-4339-BB5-C-468-B375281-B3.jpg]

[Image: 7-E865-AAE-DEFB-4618-91-BB-7-F92754-D489-B.jpg]

[Image: C0-DD69-F3-94-CF-48-E4-B9-CA-60533-A5-ED7-C9.jpg]

A couple pics of the tackle buddies

[Image: 065-EDFC2-2-F1-A-4-A5-E-A2-A7-FD2-B8-F7-B5-B3-D.jpg]

[Image: 527-FF5-F9-66-D9-4-F43-A033-15-D6444-DEB61.jpg]
(01-15-2022, 05:48 PM)2knots Wrote:
(01-15-2022, 04:02 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: Thanks for the reply.
I liked the idea of a top shot over braid. You use any braid and #test is not important because it's just filler?  That makes buying more expensive line easier as well, using it just for a top shot.

When you talk of leader length do you mean a leader in front of the squid?  I probably won't be tying my own yet so will be using what I can buy off the shelves.  Are the prepackaged squids generally that length or should I clip and retie the front swivel to make them that length?

I use power pro 20lb test 6lb dia, it lets me put a lot of line on so if I need to go way back in clear lakes I can. I set up a leader jig as I tie a lot of my own stuff (pic below), it’s basically a plastic bottle bottom with a v notch cut into it and finish nails or brads put in at the lengths I typically use and it makes it nice for storage ( I use tackle buddies so all of the squids or spinners line up on 1 side which makes finding a color I want a bit easier) the prepackaged gear usually are tied on long leaders up to 30”’s so they all get shortened
[Image: 5-A47-A9-CF-0278-4339-BB5-C-468-B375281-B3.jpg]

[Image: 7-E865-AAE-DEFB-4618-91-BB-7-F92754-D489-B.jpg]

[Image: C0-DD69-F3-94-CF-48-E4-B9-CA-60533-A5-ED7-C9.jpg]

A couple pics of the tackle buddies

[Image: 065-EDFC2-2-F1-A-4-A5-E-A2-A7-FD2-B8-F7-B5-B3-D.jpg]

[Image: 527-FF5-F9-66-D9-4-F43-A033-15-D6444-DEB61.jpg]

Those tackle buddies are what I need.  I'll have to do a search and purchase some.
(01-15-2022, 02:08 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: I know we have a ways to go yet but I spent last year getting ready to take up Kokanee fishing and am really looking forward to doing something I currently know nothing about.

Now questions...

I plan to fish mostly Jordanelle but will also venture to East Canyon and Rockport.  The berry is a bit big for my boat but I will probably give it a try on the Soldier Creek side during the peak of the season there.

I fish Kokanee a lot, I definitely wouldn’t recommend using braid as the lips on Kokanee are very soft and you’ll rip lips instead of landing Kokanee with braid. I use 10 lb mono, it stretches, I don’t use snubbers and when I tried them I lost more than I landed. Very flexible rods are helpful. Kokanee take a minute to figure out but once you do they aren’t hard to catch once you find them. Dodgers and small squids, squids with spinners, pink, purple, orange and white are a good start. If you break them, keep everything and RE tie them. You can also make a lot if you’re just getting started.  I’m glad you didn’t mention Flaming Gorge on your list of lakes with that small boat, every year I see scary situations with small boats there.  I’d say you can hop on my boat but work has owned my life for the last year and it isn’t slowing down. I am more than happy to show you more of what you need if you’re near West Jordan.  
[Image: 20220124-092004.jpg]

I watched the recommended video by the DWR, well the RMT part anyway as FG does not apply to what I'll be doing as well as several others detailing the leader distance depending on what you are using as a lure.
Thanks for the tips.  I went with 330 yds of Suffix high abrasion resistance line in 10 lb test.  The rods are listed by Okuma as being kokanee rods with a 4-8 lb test recommendation, the SST's.  I'll be rigging with them and it looks like they will have a good bend on the wire and lots of flex through out the rod for fighting. I want to add a couple of Eagle Claw fiberglass rods next, the old wright and McGill model.  They have been the same for ever and my friend in NY holds the state Kokanee record with one and swears by them.
I'm not fool enough to go big water with a small boat, not just the lakes but the power squadron and their wave boats...even on the smaller ones.
The boat will get bigger, already looking for a 16x72 V hull. 
Sent an order in to Teton and working on coloring some RMT dodgers I picked up.  This will be fun.  I like starting a new phase of fishing, more exciting having the anticipation and not catching than going with the same methods that have caught me thousands of fish over the years.
IMHO you are good with 10lb mono, no need to go lighter I use heavier, 14lb test mono. It has never been a problem for me to catch lots of kokes at many different lakes in and out of Utah. I tie my own hoochie and leader rigs, I make lighter test than main line. It is much better to lose hooks than dodgers or blades. Heavier main line can then take a bit of abuse and still hold up, your weakest link will be the leader to your squid, lure, hooks etc. So if you break off just lose the cheaper part!
As far as blades I like Mack’s! They bought Shasta which is the original that many others copy, also like Luhr Jensen and Christensen rigs and blades etc., most of the time the 4 inch to 6 inch range lots of colors work, for a start tough to beat chrome with scale-lite and pink for me on squid is first choice but have a color selection to experiment. For tipping I use most of the time Berkley maggots pink and chart.. Have tried corn scented with many scents, worms real maggots wax worms etc, caught fish on most but for me Berkley maggots, they are easy to keep, use and they have never failed since I started using them many years ago.
Soft rods are a plus, better to put money into a good reel than the rod. A Good drag with line counter is very helpful for setbacks and to keep lines separated to Reduce tangles when running multiple lines.
Check your connection and the line several feet up on your dodgers rigs for bucks or damage. I usually cut off a few feet and retie every now and then to be sure no weak spots near terminal gear to reduce chance of unwanted break offs.
Good luck
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(01-25-2022, 07:30 PM)Mildog Wrote: IMHO you are good with 10lb mono, no need to go lighter I use heavier, 14lb test mono. It has never been a problem for me to catch lots of kokes at many different lakes in and out of Utah. I tie my own hoochie and leader rigs, I make lighter test than main line. It is much better to lose hooks than dodgers or blades. Heavier main line can then take a bit of abuse and still hold up, your weakest link will be the leader to your squid, lure, hooks etc. So if you break off just lose the cheaper part!
As far as blades I like Mack’s! They bought Shasta which is the original that many others copy, also like Luhr Jensen and Christensen rigs and blades etc., most of the time the 4 inch to 6 inch range lots of colors work, for a start tough to beat chrome with scale-lite and pink for me on squid is first choice but have a color selection to experiment. For tipping I use most of the time Berkley maggots pink and chart.. Have tried corn scented with many scents, worms real maggots wax worms etc, caught fish on most but for me Berkley maggots, they are  easy to keep, use and they have never failed since I started using them many years ago.
Soft rods are a plus, better to put money into a good reel than the rod. A Good drag with line counter is very helpful for setbacks and to keep lines separated to Reduce tangles when running multiple lines.
Check your connection and the line several feet up on your dodgers rigs for bucks or damage. I usually cut off a few feet and retie every now and then to be sure no weak spots near terminal gear to reduce chance of unwanted break offs.
Good luck

I hadn't considered using a heavier main line than leader, I will have to adjust.  Do you get hung up that much? I've rigged for lakers and you have to hug the bottom, lose a lot of gear.  I was under the impression that much of the time Kokanee are mid column fish, seeking the temperature they prefer.  I have a lot to learn.

Until then I have to stay out of trouble soooo, some toys to occupy the mind and hands.
[Image: 20220125-183504.jpg]

[Image: 20220125-183853.jpg]

I went with some white spinning blades to start, so I could color them with my pens.  I bought 50 hooks, so that will get me started.  Wish my dodger order would get here...
I run 15 lbs florocarbon. Scent on my dodger. Gulp maggots. Squids. Florocarbon may be a little pricey for the budget you are on, but works great!
Passing the time...I need bigger foam rolls, but the ones in the box were from some pipe insulation I had in the shed.
My dodger order came in, where do you all get your reflective tape, as the tape that came with the dodgers isn't very exciting.
[Image: 20220126-161117.jpg]
If you need bigger foam rolls, try a pool noodle. They are not expensive and work pretty well and can be cut to lengths that you want.
That was my plan, but pool noodles are scarce in the stores this time of year, it seems. I can get different sizes of this pipe insulation, I may look at those, or just wait till the pool noodles show up for the summer.

I burned through those 50 hooks pretty quick...just sayin.
(01-28-2022, 05:12 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: That was my plan, but pool noodles are scarce in the stores this time of year, it seems.  I can get different sizes of this pipe insulation, I may look at those, or just wait till the pool noodles show up for the summer.

I burned through those 50 hooks pretty quick...just sayin.

the pipe insulation should work 
I made this just for you 
how to tie a squid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3Q27UCv...el=RobertG

use any where from 3 to 5 glow beads in the bodies of the squid less will put the hook up inside more
Thank you so much. I have some adjustments to make for sure on my rigs. Thanks for all the tips and the walk through.
If I tie my snells the way you do they will be much better than what I have learned so far. I have begun to tie in a bit of flash as well. Because I have it, from fly tying.

[Image: 20220128-114526.jpg]

The beads between the hooks add to the look for sure, and it looks like I need to have more of my rear hook exposed as well.
I've done a few blades, colorado on a clevis, propeller, but not 2, yet and some Smiley. I've been using small beads with those, the 5mm beads seemed to rub on the blade wings.
You don't put beads in front of spinners, right? Just behind...

I liked your dodger bag, but for now I found a piece of 1" foam in the shed, so I cut it to fit in a Plano box and cut slits in it for the dodgers, it will have to do for now.

[Image: 20220128-115647.jpg]