Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State parks annual pass changes.
I was talking to a DNR officer yesterday and he informed me that the new state parks annual pass is going back to a calendar year cycle. He said that it went into effect on 01/10/22.

He seemed as perplexed as I was about this change and I wonder what the ultimate goal of this change is for.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
(02-20-2022, 10:41 PM)a_bow_nut Wrote: I was talking to a DNR officer yesterday and he informed me that the new state parks annual pass is going back to a calendar year cycle. He said that it went into effect on 01/10/22.

He seemed as perplexed as I was about this change and I wonder what the ultimate goal of this change is.
Thanks for the info. I'm sorry to hear this, guess I'll be losing about 5 or 6 months on this next years state park pass. I can tell you why they did it, it's all about the $$.
(02-20-2022, 11:17 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the info. I'm sorry to hear this, guess I'll be losing about 5 or 6 months on this next years state park pass. I can tell you why they did it, it's all about the $$.

Not sure I understand your statement.  I have a hunch that they will sell fewer annual passes with this change and perhaps folks will skip going if they can't buy a twelve-month pass and get out of the habit of going in the future.
I used to have a poster on my office wall..."Ain't no good reason for it.  It's just company policy."  I suspect that this decision was made less on the basis of common sense and more about either the convenience or revenue of the Utah State Parks organization.  I also suspect that despite them thinking that this will result in more revenue, it will have the opposite effect. 

Hold onto your hats.  We might even see a reversion back to fishing "seasons" and only being able to fish with one pole.  And just when most of us were taking all of the modern revisions for granted.  What's next?  Can't fish with live nightcrawlers?  Hopefully DWR remains more open and proactive to us anglers than the State Parks are.
(02-20-2022, 11:22 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 11:17 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the info. I'm sorry to hear this, guess I'll be losing about 5 or 6 months on this next years state park pass. I can tell you why they did it, it's all about the $$.

Not sure I understand your statement.  I have a hunch that they will sell fewer annual passes with this change and perhaps folks will skip going if they can't buy a twelve-month pass and get out of the habit of going in the future.

Sure you won't get it that first year but after that you will still get 12 months. My pass exprires in may or june, so the next one I buy after it expires will only be good until the end of the year, so I won't get a full 12 months out of it. My next years pass will start when my current pass expires, which in my case is May, I think, I'll have to look at my pass to be for sure but I'll end up buying two passes before this year is over.
(02-20-2022, 11:39 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 11:22 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:

How do you figure you won't get 12 months out of your pass? Sure you won't get it that first year but after that you will still get 12 months. My pass exprires in may or june, so the next one I buy after it expires will only be good until the end of the year, so I won't get a full 12 months out of it.
Correct, but I doubt that they would change the law for a boost in revenue for one year (and only then if folks renew before January 1st) and likely a loss in revenue going forward (from those who are already into the year and don't want to purchase a permit that is not good for 12 months.
I guess it all comes down to what is cheaper for most folks, if you only use your state parks pass a few times a year, you might as well just buy a pass one day at a time but for us that use it every week, it is still a money saver. I suspect you are right though, there will be folks that just give up on buying a yearly pass.
Aligning with the fiscal year. Oh well, I'll just buy in january. Can we get dogs on the boats at deer creek yet?
The parks mgr I spoke with said they will be prorating this years passes if you have an existing pass. Example: my pass expires in June. I can purchase a new pass and only pay for the remaining months of 2022 ($50). Then purchase my 2023 pass at the normal price.

That's what I was told, we shall see.
(02-21-2022, 04:49 AM)fishnate Wrote: The parks mgr I spoke with said they will be prorating this years passes if you have an existing pass. Example: my pass expires in June. I can purchase a new pass and only pay for the remaining months of 2022 ($50). Then purchase my 2023 pass at the normal price.

That's what I was told, we shall see.

Thanks Nate, for that added info, that will make things easier.
(02-20-2022, 10:41 PM)a_bow_nut Wrote: I was talking to a DNR officer yesterday and he informed me that the new state parks annual pass is going back to a calendar year cycle. He said that it went into effect on 01/10/22.

He seemed as perplexed as I was about this change and I wonder what the ultimate goal of this change is for.

I feel like this is really gonna cause problems. It has been difficult to even find passes. Now, it will be fueled by those that want them buying all at the same time. The people in charge really need to think things through. 
Gabe
(02-21-2022, 03:52 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:

I feel like this is really gonna cause problems. It has been difficult to even find passes. Now, it will be fueled by those that want them buying all at the same time. The people in charge really need to think things through. 
Gabe

Last year finding a pass was difficult and this year I ordered online and it took almost 4 weeks to receive. I suspect that DWR getting the passes has been problematic and with the year all being 1 color it will be easier for enforcement to check vehicles.
I went to the DNR on North Temple , walked up to the counter and the Lady told me it would be from January to January I gave her$50.00 dollars and was out the door in 5 minutes .  Already used it twice well worth the money. Its in the book store to your left as you go through the door.
I hope the DWR doesn't get the same idea with our fishing licenses.

Although it was easier to remember when it was the first of the year. Big Grin
It's wise to have an easily-remembered renewal date. I go to the Riverdale Applebees for my lunch on Veterans Day and then walk over to Sportsmans Warehouse to renew. 11/11 is hard for me to forget.
(02-21-2022, 05:19 PM)gofish435 Wrote: I hope the DWR doesn't get the same idea with our fishing licenses.

Although it was easier to remember when it was the first of the year. Big Grin

I preferred the January 1 to January 1 era of licensing.  I used to get my next years license in my stocking every year from my wife or my son.

When it was changed to a 365 day license the sportsman lost all power over the department.  When licenses are renewed on one particular day of the year a resistance to buy those licenses in a timely manner due to disputes can severely affect budgets.  The sportsman, if organized have the power to influence policy much more when they control the purse.
(02-22-2022, 01:38 AM)Gone Forever Wrote: When licenses are renewed on one particular day of the year a resistance to buy those licenses in a timely manner due to disputes can severely affect budgets.
Really - a $38 combination license ($29 if 65+) will severely affect a budget.  Sorry, I've never been that poor, so it's very hard for me to understand that condition.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I think Alan was probably onto the reason for this, the current pass requires the enforcement troops to get out of their trucks and look at the tags to tell if they are good or not, if they are all the same color it will be fast and easy for them to do their enforcement... I think it sucks too, but and I agree they will probably sell less tags since folks won't want to pay a whole year fee for 5 or 6 months of use, but for those of us who ice fish it will probably be okay after we get on to the schedule... I don't think the hunting/fishing licenses will see the same benefit, so I doubt they will change them... If they did, they would probably see the same thing here that I do in Idaho, if I have an early in the year trip to Idaho, I buy a season tag, if not I usually end up not going fishing in Idaho.... because the day passes are too expensive and I don't want to buy a season later in the year...
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(02-22-2022, 02:45 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I think Alan was probably onto the reason for this, the current pass requires the enforcement troops to get out of their trucks and look at the tags to tell if they are good or not, if they are all the same color it will be fast and easy for them to do their enforcement... I think it sucks too, but and I agree they will probably sell less tags since folks won't want to pay a whole year fee for 5 or 6 months of use, but for those of us who ice fish it will probably be okay after we get on to the schedule... I don't think the hunting/fishing licenses will see the same benefit, so I doubt they will change them...  If they did, they would probably see the same thing here that I do in Idaho, if I have an early in the year trip to Idaho, I buy a season tag, if not I usually end up not going fishing in Idaho.... because the day passes are too expensive and I don't want to buy a season later in the year...

On the flip side of the DNR actually checking that the passes are current. It seems that when the booth attendants see a pass in the window they never check to see if it has expired or not.

This way would solve that problem.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
[quote pid="1130231" dateline="1645493882"]
I preferred the January 1 to January 1 era of licensing.  I used to get my next years license in my stocking every year from my wife or my son.

When it was changed to a 365 day license the sportsman lost all power over the department.  When licenses are renewed on one particular day of the year a resistance to buy those licenses in a timely manner due to disputes can severely affect budgets.  The sportsman, if organized have the power to influence policy much more when they control the purse.
[/quote]

You have more confidence in sportsmen and sportswomen getting organized than I do.  I think the majority of us enjoy hunting and fishing too much to forego buying a license in hopes of influencing those who make the policies.