Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport Perch Spawn
I thought I would reach out on this forum for some suggestions on how to go about targeting yellow perch this spring on Rockport. I tried to private message Tube Dude on the subject but my computer skills are not that great and since I did not hear back from him I’m guessing I screwed up and he didn’t receive it. I’m just looking for a few tips on when, where and how to find the perch after ice out. What part of the lake to target, water temp, ect. Thanks in advance. Anxiously awaiting open water!
(03-15-2023, 10:26 PM)Dave Clifton Wrote: I thought I would reach out on this forum for some suggestions on how to go about targeting yellow perch this spring on Rockport. I tried to private message Tube Dude on the subject but my computer skills are not that great and since I did not hear back from him I’m guessing I screwed up and he didn’t receive it. I’m just looking for a few tips on when, where and how to find the perch after ice out. What part of the lake to target, water temp, ect. Thanks in advance. Anxiously awaiting open water!

Sorry, didn't get your PM.  I always respond quickly.

Most perch lakes share some common traits and cycles...each influenced by overall size and depth, overall perch population and ideal spawning conditions.  If you have a good perch population...without a lot of bigger predator predation...the perch will create enough huge clouds of baby perch early each spring to keep the adults well fed a good part of the year.

Adult spawning perch tend to take a break right after spawning...and up until water temps get toward 60-65 degrees.  They are more spread out and in small groups rather than big schools.  You can catch them on a plain hook and worm...or on small jigs tipped with worms.  This period will last up through about the first of July on most lakes...most years.

After the new hatchlings pop out,  we start seeing tight clouds of them in areas in toward the banks and up toward fresh water inlets.  And as the perchlets grow beyond the inch long stage they become active targets for larger perch and other predators.  But by late July and August there is an almost constant glut of the bigguns dining on the litteuns.  Happens in all Utah Perch Lakes.

Good sonar and the ability to read it is important.  Often, at this time,  you can catch cannibalistic perch within a short cast  from shore...as larger ones herd schools of smaller ones into weeds, stickups or rocks.  You can sometimes just watch for sudden spatters of raindrops as big perch raid little ones from below.

But you may find staging and raiding jumbos at almost any level in the water column.  They go where the grub is.  And those big schools of small perch can set up at any level where they find  their groceries...zooplankton, etc.

As a general rule, best offerings for active summer to fall feeding perch are small plastics, spoons and other lures in the same size range as the perch being dined upon.  And tipping your perch or fire tiger colored offering with a bit of perch flesh is helpful.  Although lots of successful perch jerkers use plain old crawler.

Review the help desk for assistance in using the Private Messaging service.  It is a valuable tool.
(03-16-2023, 12:47 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(03-15-2023, 10:26 PM)Dave Clifton Wrote: I thought I would reach out on this forum for some suggestions on how to go about targeting yellow perch this spring on Rockport. I tried to private message Tube Dude on the subject but my computer skills are not that great and since I did not hear back from him I’m guessing I screwed up and he didn’t receive it. I’m just looking for a few tips on when, where and how to find the perch after ice out. What part of the lake to target, water temp, ect. Thanks in advance. Anxiously awaiting open water!

Most perch lakes share some common traits and cycles...each influenced by overall size and depth, overall perch population and ideal spawning conditions.  If you have a good perch population...without a lot of bigger predator predation...the perch will create enough huge clouds of baby perch early each spring to keep the adults well fed a good part of the year.

Adult spawning perch tend to take a break right after spawning...and up until water temps get toward 60-65 degrees.  They are more spread out and in small groups rather than big schools.  You can catch them on a plain hook and worm...or on small jigs tipped with worms.  This period will last up through about the first of July on most lakes...most years.

After the new hatchlings pop out,  we start seeing tight clouds of them in areas in toward the banks and up toward fresh water inlets.  And as the perchlets grow beyond the inch long stage they become active targets for larger perch and other predators.  But by late July and August there is an almost constant glut of the bigguns dining on the litteuns.  Happens in all Utah Perch Lakes.

Good sonar and the ability to read it is important.  Often, at this time,  you can catch cannibalistic perch within a short cast  from shore...as larger ones herd schools of smaller ones into weeds, stickups or rocks.  You can sometimes just watch for sudden spatters of raindrops as big perch raid little ones from below.

But you may find staging and raiding jumbos at almost any level in the water column.  They go where the grub is.  And those big schools of small perch can set up at any level where they find  their groceries...zooplankton, etc.

As a general rule, best offerings for active summer to fall feeding perch are small plastics, spoons and other lures in the same size range as the perch being dined upon.  And tipping your perch or fire tiger colored offering with a bit of perch flesh is helpful.  Although lots of successful perch jerkers use plain old crawler.

Review the help desk for assistance in using the Private Messaging service.  It is a valuable tool. Thanks, Tube Dude
(03-16-2023, 12:47 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

Review the help desk for assistance in using the Private Messaging service.  It is a valuable tool.
TubeDude = Encyclopedia in the form of an angler...