Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sturgeon trip to Idaho.
My son and I just returned from a sturgeon trip to Idaho, I hadnt fished for sturgeon on the Snake since the early 70s when I use to live in Grandview and nobody hardly fished for them. I booked a trip for us with an Outfitter and a guide who really knows what he is doing and very friendly. He actually was the person who guided the couple from Utah who broke the state record last summer. We boated 5 fish and lost another he actually knows a few BFT members having lived in Roy before moving to MT. Home. No monsters with the largest being just over 8 ft. My son who had never fished sturgeon before had a blast, weather was nice in the mid 80s and no wind. we learned alot from our guide about sturgeon fishing and the day seemed to fly by. Will definitely book with him again.
Congrats Gale, glad the trip turned out for you two... Seems like an 8 footer is a pretty good fish to me... But I'm not a sturgeon guy, but I'd definitely be happy with a monster longer than an NBA player... Thanks for the post.. Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(05-01-2023, 01:16 AM)PACKFAN Wrote: My son and I just returned from a sturgeon trip to Idaho, I hadnt fished for sturgeon on the Snake since the early 70s when I use to live in Grandview and nobody hardly fished for them. I booked a trip for us with an Outfitter and a guide who really knows what he is doing and very friendly. He actually was the person who guided the couple from Utah who broke the state record last summer. We boated 5 fish and lost another he actually knows a few BFT members having lived in Roy before moving to MT. Home. No monsters with the largest being just over 8 ft. My son who had never fished sturgeon before had a blast, weather was nice in the mid 80s and no wind. we learned alot from our guide about sturgeon fishing and the day seemed to fly by. Will definitely book with him again.

Great report Gale and I agree with Jeff a 8 footer is a great fish for the Snake, I'd have to ask Kent or Robert, that both fish it on a regular bases but I don't remember many being caught there that would top 96 inches.
(05-01-2023, 01:07 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(05-01-2023, 01:16 AM)PACKFAN Wrote: My son and I just returned from a sturgeon trip to Idaho, I hadnt fished for sturgeon on the Snake since the early 70s when I use to live in Grandview and nobody hardly fished for them. I booked a trip for us with an Outfitter and a guide who really knows what he is doing and very friendly. He actually was the person who guided the couple from Utah who broke the state record last summer. We boated 5 fish and lost another he actually knows a few BFT members having lived in Roy before moving to MT. Home. No monsters with the largest being just over 8 ft. My son who had never fished sturgeon before had a blast, weather was nice in the mid 80s and no wind. we learned alot from our guide about sturgeon fishing and the day seemed to fly by. Will definitely book with him again.

Great report Gale and I agree with Jeff a 8 footer is a great fish for the Snake, I'd have to ask Kent or Robert, that both fish it on a regular bases but I don't remember many being caught there that would top 96 inches.

Joe had actually boated one over 9ft. a few weeks ago. I plan on booking a trip with the same outfitter next spring to fish salmon on the Clearwater.
It took me years to catch an 8 footer (in the meantime, I caught several that went 7'10").  Just because 9 footers are occasionally caught one should never be disappointed with an 8 footer and not consider it a trophy fish.
[Image: ADA598-AB-98-FB-4-F3-F-9683-FAFF3938-ADCD.jpg]

We got that back in 2014 on the Snake outside Riggins. Estimated around 9ft
Love sturgeon!!! Here's a 8 footer from shore. Catching endless smallies bluegill crappie and trout on jigs while you wait for sturgeon and camp right on the bank sure is amazing!
[Image: 713.jpg]
What guide service did you use? I've got a friend who's very interested in going after a sturgeon.
Nate, he used Joe Weisner with Jones Sport Fishing: https://www.jonessportfishing.com .
We just got back here are some we got. have not gone through all my pictures are videos yet just took the ones that came up first.
Me I don't want to catch a nother 8 are 9 footer my body can't take it.
I would bet Kent would take you out for 3 day for $900 that way you could catch over 20,

me I'm after Kokanee now

[Image: Untitled-1-1-1.jpg]
I learn a lot using a underwater camera

[Image: Untitled-2-4-28-23.jpg]

[Image: Untitled-3-4-28-23.jpg]

[Image: Untitled-4-last-one.jpg]

[Image: Untitled-5.jpg]

2 are over 7 feet I cant remember how many we got  we had 4 poles out
(05-02-2023, 12:11 AM)liketrolling Wrote: I would bet Kent would take you out for 3 day for $900 that way you could catch over 20,

Robert, when I fish with anyone for sturgeon or anything else we share expenses equally.  IMNSHO if anyone charges more than sharing expenses they better be licensed as a guide. 

My guests may catch 20 or more, or they or the entire boat might be skunked.  If one wants to increase their odds of catching a sturgeon I think their odds are better going with a guide who fishes the waters multiple times a week, rather than someone who is lucky to fish it a few times a year.
(05-01-2023, 04:16 PM)fishnate Wrote:
What guide service did you use? I've got a friend who's very interested in going after a sturgeon.

I'll let the sturgeon experts give you the info.
(05-01-2023, 11:19 PM)Kent Wrote: Nate, he used Joe Weisner with Jones Sport Fishing: https://www.jonessportfishing.com .

Thanks a bunch Kent!
(05-02-2023, 04:41 PM)fishnate Wrote:
(05-01-2023, 11:19 PM)Kent Wrote: Nate, he used Joe Weisner with Jones Sport Fishing: https://www.jonessportfishing.com .

Thanks a bunch Kent!

I hate it when people answer a question directed to me but then thats the courtesy shown here.
(05-02-2023, 11:50 PM)PACKFAN Wrote:

Thanks a bunch Kent!

I hate it when people answer a question directed to me but then thats the courtesy shown here.

I don't think Kent meant any disrespect Gale but we have seen it before when a member will never reply to questions, so I think that might have been why he replied, instead of waiting for you but I'm not trying to speak for him but we all all friends here, so please don't feel slighted.
(05-03-2023, 12:02 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Thanks a bunch Kent!

I don't think Kent meant any disrespect Gale but we have seen it before when a member will never reply to questions, so I think that might have been why he replied, instead of waiting for you but I'm not trying to speak for him but we all all friends here, so please don't feel slighted.

Didnt have a chance to, im not on here every day. It is what it is.

(05-03-2023, 10:17 PM)PACKFAN Wrote:
(05-03-2023, 12:02 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Thanks a bunch Kent!

Didnt have a chance to, im not on here every day. It is what it is. Im sure the experts here know there are only so many guide permits for C.J. Strike and various sections of the river and I believe they are all taken.