Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stocking Report Surprise
I was going over the stocking report to see if my favorite local lakes received a planting if kokanee this year. As I scrolled down through the lakes this caught my eye. You will know what I am talking about as soon as you see it.

[Image: Screenshot-20240613-153635-Chrome.jpg]

I would assume they are trying to do something about the size of the current kokanee population in the lake. It will be interesting to see the results in a few years.
Well that will be interesting to see if they can increase the size of the kokes there. I haven't fished there in a few years, have you?
(06-14-2024, 12:04 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Well that will be interesting to see if they can increase the size of the kokes there. I haven't fished there in a few years, have you?

No, I haven't fished there in years either. But if the lake trout can make a dent and increase the size of the kokes, I would probably make the trip. It would be closer than the berry. The drawback is the dirt road and no improved launch areas.
(06-14-2024, 12:14 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote:
(06-14-2024, 12:04 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Well that will be interesting to see if they can increase the size of the kokes there. I haven't fished there in a few years, have you?

No, I haven't fished there in years either. But if the lake trout can make a dent and increase the size of the kokes, I would probably make the trip. It would be closer than the berry. The drawback is the dirt road and no improved launch areas.

I agree, if it helps, it would be a good thing, I hate that long early morning drive to the berry. Wish they would get that boat ramp put in at Causey, the fish use to be a decent size years ago, about the size of those bigger fish at Lost creek.
(06-14-2024, 02:09 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-14-2024, 12:14 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote:

I agree, if it helps, it would be a good thing, I hate that long early morning drive to the berry. Wish they would get that boat ramp put in at Causey, the fish use to be a decent size years ago, about the size of those bigger fish at Lost creek.

They used to plant splake.
(06-13-2024, 09:44 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: I was going over the stocking report to see if my favorite local lakes received a planting if kokanee this year. As I scrolled down through the lakes this caught my eye. You will know what I am talking about as soon as you see it.

I would assume they are trying to do something about the size of the current kokanee population in the lake. It will be interesting to see the results in a few years.

From what I have heard, that is exactly what they are trying to do. Right now the kokes up there are on a five year cycle where they will go from super high numbers and smaller fish to fewer numbers and better sized fish. This introduction is to try and keep that major swing from being so drastic and keep the size of the fish more consistent.
(06-14-2024, 07:59 PM)DjHill16 Wrote:
(06-13-2024, 09:44 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: I was going over the stocking report to see if my favorite local lakes received a planting if kokanee this year. As I scrolled down through the lakes this caught my eye. You will know what I am talking about as soon as you see it.

From what I have heard, that is exactly what they are trying to do. Right now the kokes up there are on a five year cycle where they will go from super high numbers and smaller fish to fewer numbers and better sized fish. This introduction is to try and keep that major swing from being so drastic and keep the size of the fish more consistent.
If it works, that would be a great thing and with the deeper water that should suit them nicely. In the future there should be some great sized macs coming out of there.
I hope they do the same thing to SM.
(06-15-2024, 05:18 AM)MrShane Wrote: I hope they do the same thing to SM.

SM has had some Splake added in recent years
Funny thing is I was just about to start a thread mentioning the same thing.

Having Bear Lake be the only place with macs up North is hard, unless you have a boat.

This could open up a lot of opportunities for non-boaters (kayaks, etc) and ice fishing (since Bear Lake does not freeze consistently).
(06-14-2024, 10:31 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

If it works, that would be a great thing and with the deeper water that should suit them nicely. In the future there should be some great sized macs coming out of there.
I want to say the guy I heard that info from was saying that the DNR expected them to hit the 24-28 inch range. So not huge but would still be a fun fish to catch.
(06-17-2024, 05:06 PM)DjHill16 Wrote:
(06-14-2024, 10:31 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

I want to say the guy I heard that info from was saying that the DNR expected them to hit the 24-28 inch range. So not huge but would still be a fun fish to catch.

Still not bad, likely around 7 or 8 lbs and I bet they live longer than splake, so a few could get bigger.