Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Lake
Fish here awhile back.  I thought some on here might want to know about a Koke we caught.
It was 7" long.  Nothing to brag about but I checked the stocking reports and if I recall corectly no kokes have been planted for 3 years. I my mind that means a Koke mixed in with planted fish or a naturally spawned fish.  I'm voting for the spawn cause I want it to be that way.
(06-29-2024, 02:57 AM)PACMEN Wrote: Fish here awhile back.  I thought some on here might want to know about a Koke we caught.
It was 7" long.  Nothing to brag about but I checked the stocking reports and if I recall corectly no kokes have been planted for 3 years. I my mind that means a Koke mixed in with planted fish or a naturally spawned fish.  I'm voting for the spawn cause I want it to be that way.

That's very interesting, IMO that means the kokes are reproducing on their own but you could be correct, maybe the DWR had a koke in with their plantings of bows. With the fact that they do have kokes in the Gorge that spawn in lake instead of running up stream, it seems very possible that stocked that strain in E lake. I wonder if there is any way to find out Undecided
I actually contacted the biologist this week about Electric lake. I asked why they were not planting Kokanee anymore. He responded that they were seeing enough natural reproduction and they felt that they didn't need to stock it. I told him that was not what I was seeing and that EL Kokanee fishing had declined since they quit stocking it. He said they were gill netting this fall and if they saw a decline they would reconsider.

Personally, I think they wanted the Kokanee for Strawberry, FL, Jordanelle and the other popular reservoirs and that's why they quit stocking EL. Either that or they are just incompetent and really think things are fine. It honestly is probably a little of both.

Here is The DWR Biologist's (Justin) number 435.820.6020 If anyone want to tell him how bad EL has gotten in the last few years. Maybe if enough people contact them, they will put a few Kokanees in there.
Sigh. Results on the end of your hook are not equivalent to biological studies.

One guy can go with the right setup, speed, depth, colors, scent, etc. and kill the Kokes, and another guy in his Bayliner will sit there convinced that there are no Kokes in the lake. Additionally, if you know anything about Koke fishing, just because they bit on a certain rig, spot, or depth last year, or even yesterday, it doesn't mean they will today.

It isn't just Kokes either. Every year, somebody bemoans the state of Otter Creek claiming that there are "no trout left", because the trout are all so stuffed from the natural feed in the lake that they do not want to eat. I had a guy filling my ear about the glory days, as I sat and watched hundred and hundreds of fish on my live scope.

Don't go spamming the DWR with complaints because you're not catching fish. Let them do their gill net study and see.
(07-01-2024, 02:38 PM)BYUHunter Wrote: Sigh. Results on the end of your hook are not equivalent to biological studies.

One guy can go with the right setup, speed, depth, colors, scent, etc. and kill the Kokes, and another guy in his Bayliner will sit there convinced that there are no Kokes in the lake. Additionally, if you know anything about Koke fishing, just because they bit on a certain rig, spot, or depth last year, or even yesterday, it doesn't mean they will today.

It isn't just Kokes either. Every year, somebody bemoans the state of Otter Creek claiming that there are "no trout left", because the trout are all so stuffed from the natural feed in the lake that they do not want to eat. I had a guy filling my ear about the glory days, as I sat and watched hundred and hundreds of fish on my live scope.

Don't go spamming the DWR with complaints because you're not catching fish. Let them do their gill net study and see.
Amen!

Well stated.
(06-30-2024, 06:38 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-29-2024, 02:57 AM)PACMEN Wrote: Fish here awhile back.  I thought some on here might want to know about a Koke we caught.

That's very interesting, IMO that means the kokes are reproducing on their own but you could be correct, maybe the DWR had a koke in with their plantings of bows. With the fact that they do have kokes in the Gorge that spawn in lake instead of running up stream, it seems very possible that stocked that strain in E lake. I wonder if there is any way to find out Undecided

We have seen quite a lot of jokes in spawning colors in the stream at Electric.  It's been a couple years since we've been there during spawn time however.  Maybe I'll take a look this fall.
[Image: IMG-2798.jpg]
(07-01-2024, 02:38 PM)BYUHunter Wrote: Sigh. Results on the end of your hook are not equivalent to biological studies.

I get it. But I have fished EL for Kokanee probably as much as anyone in the last 10 years. I can see a decline.
(07-02-2024, 04:02 AM)elkantlers Wrote:

I get it. But I have fished EL for Kokanee probably as much as anyone in the last 10 years. I can see a decline.

E Antlers, Thanks for your observations. I love that lake, but usually don't get down there until fairly late in the season (usually after mid August when the fish at Jordanelle are well into red). I know that you are there often and see differences year to year. The last 3 years, Strawberry has really declined, with maybe some improvement this year over last. Has E Lake's decline coincided with the northern lakes? I fished it last year 3 or 4 times, in August and September and I was more successful than on Strawberry and the fish on Jordanelle were well into the spawn. Is it still declining? Hoping to get down there again this year at the end of the season. Thanks again for your watchful eye down there. Hopefully it will turn around - I think the northern lakes are starting to rebound.
I agree, northern lakes have been on the rebound but only because of the continued replenishment that the DNR provides. Electric has been on a continual decline IMHO since they stopped stocking the lake. While other lakes produce larger numbers and larger fish, this lake I feel provides the beginner Koke fishermen with a place they can enjoy the “disease “ we all suffer from. Of all the lakes I fish, Electric is my go to, my favorite. I hope the trend doesn’t continue and that there will truly be a self sustaining population of fish the DNR is banking on. If not, it’s a shame to lose a great lake for Kokanee fishing like this one.