Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panguitch chubs
They're back, and have exploded. I caught several larger ones last year and early this year. They have evidently had an unbelievable spawn and are showing up in the shallows by the thousands. Such a Sad sight to see. I think we all knew they'd be back, but I was hoping it wouldn't be this soon.
(07-13-2024, 04:16 AM)Saltslam Wrote: They're back, and have exploded. I caught several larger ones last year and early this year. They have evidently had an unbelievable spawn and are showing up in the shallows by the thousands. Such a Sad sight to see. I think we all knew they'd be back, but I was hoping it wouldn't be this soon.
That's a bummer, sounds like it's time to start stocking wipers and muskie there, like they did with Scofield
Tigers...
I was there Tuesday and schools of 4" chubs were all around the lake. They were right in shore so the predators must have pinned them there. Talked with DNR guys who were also there taking pictures and sizing up the situation, so DNR is aware. Bet they change their planting plans to deal with the chub explosion. Expect to see some really nice fish being caught for next few years. Hopefully chubs don't overrun the lake.
(07-13-2024, 03:45 PM)stan55 Wrote: I was there Tuesday and schools of 4" chubs were all around the lake. They were right in shore so the predators must have pinned them there. Talked with DNR guys who were also there taking pictures and sizing up the situation, so DNR is aware. Bet they change their planting plans to deal with the chub explosion. Expect to see some really nice fish being caught for next few years. Hopefully chubs don't overrun the lake.

I hate to be a doom and gloom guy, but it looks like its already too late. I'm not sure wipers at that elevation will do well enough to take any reasonable number out.  The rainbows already seem to be suffering  with the recent one's I've been catching looking emaciated. The same fish two months looked fat and healthy. I really, really hope I'm proven wrong as this is by far my favors lake to fish due to proximity and overall beauty.
(07-13-2024, 05:26 PM)Saltslam Wrote:  I'm not sure wipers at that elevation will do well enough to take any reasonable number out.

Just checked the elevation of the two lakes, Scofield is 7,733 ft Panguitch is 8,212 ft so less than 500 ft difference. Lots of folks said wipers would not survive in Scofield but they did, so I'd bet they would do well in Panguitch but who knows what the DWR will do.
(07-13-2024, 10:04 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-13-2024, 05:26 PM)Saltslam Wrote:  I'm not sure wipers at that elevation will do well enough to take any reasonable number out.

Just checked the elevation of the two lakes, Scofield is 7,733 ft Panguitch is 8,212 ft so less than 500 ft difference. Lots of folks said wipers would not survive in Scofield but they did, so I'd bet they would do well in Panguitch but who knows what the DWR will do.

Nobody said they wouldn't survive.  We said they might not be effective at that elevation.  Panguitch is higher, and SaltSlam's worries of whether wipers will work at Panguitch are valid.

Wipers have already been stocked in Panguitch.  2021 was the first stocking, which is close to when chubs showed up.  They were also stocked in 2022 and 2023.  In almost every lake wipers have been stocked (New Castle, Minersville, Otter Creek, Scofield, etc...) it takes about 5 years before they start doing any good.  There is hope at Panguitch -- but, like with Scofield, this might be a "wait and see" situation.

Also, don't forget that chubs spawn in early summer, when water temps reach 60 - 70 degrees.  Right now at Panguitch the chubs are VERY visible and concentrated.  That doesn't mean that the situation isn't a bad situation -- but it also doesn't mean that it's a doom-and-gloom situation.

The bad part of this is just that people cannot keep themselves from doing stupid things, especially when big fish come into the equation.  You throw big, trophy sized tiger trout into the equation, and you're going to have dummies that think they need to use live chubs to catch them.  Next thing you know, a fishery ends up in the dumps.
(07-16-2024, 04:05 PM)PBH Wrote:
(07-13-2024, 10:04 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Just checked the elevation of the two lakes, Scofield is 7,733 ft Panguitch is 8,212 ft so less than 500 ft difference. Lots of folks said wipers would not survive in Scofield but they did, so I'd bet they would do well in Panguitch but who knows what the DWR will do.

Nobody said they wouldn't survive.  We said they might not be effective at that elevation.  Panguitch is higher, and SaltSlam's worries of whether wipers will work at Panguitch are valid.

Wipers have already been stocked in Panguitch.  2021 was the first stocking, which is close to when chubs showed up.  They were also stocked in 2022 and 2023.  In almost every lake wipers have been stocked (New Castle, Minersville, Otter Creek, Scofield, etc...) it takes about 5 years before they start doing any good.  There is hope at Panguitch -- but, like with Scofield, this might be a "wait and see" situation.

Also, don't forget that chubs spawn in early summer, when water temps reach 60 - 70 degrees.  Right now at Panguitch the chubs are VERY visible and concentrated.  That doesn't mean that the situation isn't a bad situation -- but it also doesn't mean that it's a doom-and-gloom situation.

The bad part of this is just that people cannot keep themselves from doing stupid things, especially when big fish come into the equation.  You throw big, trophy sized tiger trout into the equation, and you're going to have dummies that think they need to use live chubs to catch them.  Next thing you know, a fishery ends up in the dumps.
Wow, good to hear wipers have already been stocked there, so from what you are saying, in the next year we will find out if they can work to control the chub population in Panquitch, awesome. Have they stocked any wipers this year or are there plans to stock them, in 2024? In Scofield they also stocked tiger muskie, do you know if they were stocked in Panquitch?

The fish stocking reports show that 5,348 wipers were stocked, in Panguitch during 2023, and no wipers planted during any other year.  Do you have a source that is more accurate than the official stocking reports?

(07-16-2024, 08:23 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-13-2024, 10:04 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Just checked the elevation of the two lakes, Scofield is 7,733 ft Panguitch is 8,212 ft so less than 500 ft difference. Lots of folks said wipers would not survive in Scofield but they did, so I'd bet they would do well in Panguitch but who knows what the DWR will do.

Wow, good to hear wipers have already been stocked there, so from what you are saying, in the next year we will find out if they can work to control the chub population in Panquitch, awesome. Have they stocked any wipers this year or are there plans to stock them, in 2024? In Scofield they also stocked tiger muskie, do you know if they were stocked in Panquitch?

The stocking reports show lots of tiger trout have been stocked, in Panguitch, but no tiger muskie.
(07-17-2024, 01:54 AM)Kent Wrote:

The fish stocking reports show that 5,348 wipers were stocked, in Panguitch during 2023, and no wipers planted during any other year.  Do you have a source that is more accurate than the official stocking reports?

(07-16-2024, 08:23 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

The stocking reports show lots of tiger trout have been stocked, in Panguitch, but no tiger muskie.

Thanks for the info Kent.