Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport Perch & Bass
Fished Rockport today, arrived at 6:15 to a cool 48 degrees. Started fishing at 6:30 and headed south from the marina. There were a couple of boats already on the water and they were trolling in the middle of the lake and were using planer boars. 

Started using small tube jigs tipped with a worm close to shore around rocky areas. I would get a bite almost every cast. The perch can take a worm off so fast that I was constantly rebaiting. Anyway, I brought home 7 perch and two good sized bass. The north wind started quite early, so I headed back to the boat launch and the power boats all started arriving, so I decided to call it a day. The fish cleaning station worked really well.
(07-22-2024, 10:33 PM)lovetofish Wrote: Fished Rockport today, arrived at 6:15 to a cool 48 degrees. Started fishing at 6:30 and headed south from the marina. There were a couple of boats already on the water and they were trolling in the middle of the lake and were using planer boars. 

Started using small tube jigs tipped with a worm close to shore around rocky areas. I would get a bite almost every cast. The perch can take a worm off so fast that I was constantly rebaiting. Anyway, I brought home 7 perch and two good sized bass. The north wind started quite early, so I headed back to the boat launch and the power boats all started arriving, so I decided to call it a day. The fish cleaning station worked really well.

Sounds like a decent morning, was there any size to the perch?
I am headed there in the AM. Good to know a decent bite continues
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(07-24-2024, 02:02 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-22-2024, 10:33 PM)lovetofish Wrote: Fished Rockport today, arrived at 6:15 to a cool 48 degrees. Started fishing at 6:30 and headed south from the marina. There were a couple of boats already on the water and they were trolling in the middle of the lake and were using planer boars. 

Sounds like a decent morning, was there any size to the perch?

They were around 10 inches, but I caught a bunch of smaller ones that I put back in. Put the smaller bass back in too.
Reverse your keeping on the SMB. Keep the smaller ones ( 8- 10 inches) and release the bigger ones. They are stunting in most of our waters and keeping the smaller ones removes some of the mouths that are over eating the forage. Those 8-10 inchers are great eating !!
(07-25-2024, 02:20 PM)Therapist Wrote: Reverse your keeping on the SMB.  Keep the smaller ones ( 8- 10 inches) and release the bigger ones.  They are stunting in most of our waters and keeping the smaller ones removes some of the mouths that are over eating the forage.  Those 8-10 inchers are great eating !!

I wish they would take the limit off SMB, they are practically and invasive species! Small or large they are fine eating.